Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Caliper Upgrade Question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Front Brake Caliper Upgrade Question..

I am debating between 6 Piston PM Brake Caliper and FabKevin kit that puts sports bike brake caliper 4 pistons on my front end (01 FXST).

http://www.fabkevin.com/front_brake.htm

Any experiences here with this upgrade ? and the performance of any of them compared to Stock ?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

IMHO, it would not take much to improve over stock. Hell even changing to better pads makes a differance. I put LINDLE dustless pads on and can tell a diff.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Exclamation

I spelled it wrong, LYNDALL I think.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the PM 6-piston installed with the front wheel upgrade (from 16" to 21"), it's performance is great, you can really play "servo" with the brake, you feel the constant and even braking, gentle and firm. The OEM locked easily compared to the PM specially in panic, don't get me wrong, OEM calipers bite like crocs on roids, but I eally like the the "feel" of my aftermarket caliper better.

Mimo.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Hi man,

My Front wheel on both FXST's I owned NEVER locked, if anything it won't stop the bike at any reasonable distance, it is good for 'slowing' down gently only..

How did you ever lock the front wheel using OEM's ?

Originally Posted by mimo
I had the PM 6-piston installed with the front wheel upgrade (from 16" to 21"), it's performance is great, you can really play "servo" with the brake, you feel the constant and even braking, gentle and firm. The OEM locked easily compared to the PM specially in panic, don't get me wrong, OEM calipers bite like crocs on roids, but I eally like the the "feel" of my aftermarket caliper better.

Mimo.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
Hi man,

My Front wheel on both FXST's I owned NEVER locked, if anything it won't stop the bike at any reasonable distance, it is good for 'slowing' down gently only..

How did you ever lock the front wheel using OEM's ?
Panic stop, a girl on a bike (human powered bike...) cut right in front of me while I was going 25MPH... she made a left "U" turn at the exact moment I was passing her on her left... plain stupid. Months after that incident I learned in a riding course with a retired LA motorist LEO that things could have turned out better (for me) in that incident...

Mimo.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

I think MY lever will lock before my wheel come to anything near that .
Maybe I need to bleed my front !

Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Wallaby
Club Member

I fabbed a GSXR front 4 piston on my '86 back in the day, made a HUGE difference. Made the brackets out of heavy gauge aluminum, I even "floated" the caliper.

That said, today I would do a PM, don't think you need the 6 piston, I'd go 4 piston and save some $$$.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too am fixing to upgrade my front caliper to a chrome or polished aluminum unit and was debating on either 4 piston or 6 piston. My Deluxe's front brakes really don't stop that good. I changed the pads out to Lyndall's and that did help some. If you drive a bike once with dual front rotors and calipers and then go back to bike with a single front rotor and caliper like mine your spoiled (for the other bike). I am still wondering if that 6 piston stops that much better? I would rather spend a hundred or so extra and have better brakes, than save a hundred and have ho hum brakes.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 12-09-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, Fab Kevin is going to cost me 300$ shipped and black PC'd, it does look nasty and not everyone has it, and suites the ratty look of my bike and I like to help the working man.
The PM 6 pistons, is chrome and looks trick, still made in the U.S. and costs me around 420 shipped.
So.. I am stuck on which one stops me better... ... mmm..

Quick Reply: Front Brake Caliper Upgrade Question..