Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy tie down

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 AM
HunterBLT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy tie down

Looks like I might be able to mix pleasure with business. I am going to Daytona for Bikeweek and might be doing a little business while there. I will most likely have to haul the Fat Boy down. I had a Dyna and had no problems with my soft ties, but with the head light/fork trim on the FB where do you guys put your tie downs?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always tried to put the front tie downs on the handle bars near the triple trees.The back I usually put on the lower portion of the sissy bar .

Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the cross bar... on the upper frame where the engine guard would bolt on. no interference from anything. carried it from San Antonio to San Diego in the bed of my F-150 like that. then on a trailer back. I also put a block under the frame (3 2X6s screwed together), racket the straps down. this keeps the bike from bouncing on the shocks - and keeps the shocks from bottoming out. compresses them about 1/2 way.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 698 Likes on 360 Posts

From the bars out front and on the rear I loop a strap around the rear portion of the back tire and hook to both sides of the truck (or trailer). That keeps the back from bouncing all around.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
I used the cross bar... on the upper frame where the engine guard would bolt on. no interference from anything. carried it from San Antonio to San Diego in the bed of my F-150 like that. then on a trailer back. I also put a block under the frame (3 2X6s screwed together), racket the straps down. this keeps the bike from bouncing on the shocks - and keeps the shocks from bottoming out. compresses them about 1/2 way.
Same here, try to stay away from the bars for long hauls and use a wheel chock

Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM
NJSP117
5th Gear
Default I used

The bars up front and just secured the back tire to my trailer. Seemed to help with the bumps. I made the mistake one time of not tying down the rear time, hit a bump, and I thought the bike was going to flip forward on the trailer...bad move on my part.....

Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 PM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

I have one of those bar harness i think they call it. I had it foor my crotch rockets but it works pretty good on harleys as well. It goes over the handle bars and gives you something to strap to. Here is a link but I think you can get it at any motorcycle place.

http://www.bikesax.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=TDS

Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
meanderer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLYING
I have always tried to put the front tie downs on the handle bars near the triple trees.The back I usually put on the lower portion of the sissy bar .
Ditto that. I also have one of those wheel chocks that grips front and back of the front tire. When the bike is in the chock, it isn't going anywhere. I use the straps to keep it from bouncing around.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
HunterBLT
Tourer
Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Came up with some great stuff. This why I like the forum.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the front, yes to the handle bars and I had a wheel chock too. But on the back of my '07 FB I tied them to the frame by the passenger pegs. No problems with two 2,000 mile trips.

Last edited by Danny D; 01-26-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy tie down