Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Some help!!!

I called the steeler and not getting much help. I am hoping someone here can help.

Buddy tried to change his lower forks out himself (09 Deluxe), then he gave me a call. By the time I got there he stripped the fork damper screw on the brake side fork. I drilled off the head of the screw and then pulled the damper out and used a set of vice grips to take it out of the damper.

I went to lowes and found a screw that worked but he has a very small very slow leak that we noticed when he pulled his bike back in his garage.

Does anyone have a part number for this screw? I was hoping to replace the screw and maybe fix this leak. Steeler says he can not find a part number and that means I can not just buy the screw.

I know you guys can help!!!!

Thanks

Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi, am a bit dense today, so can't really figure out which screw you are talking about ... Scanned in the page of my 2009 partsmanual with the front fork of the FLSTN, If you can tell me the number of the screw you are looking for I can give you the part number.

Attached Thumbnails Need Some help!!!-dsc05254.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you put some teflon tape or some kind of thread sealer? And that small brass looking washer is there right? I just took mine apart and I used teflon tape cause when I took the bolts out they looked like they had some thread sealer on them. hope this helps you.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 AM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Hi, am a bit dense today, so can't really figure out which screw you are talking about ... Scanned in the page of my 2009 partsmanual with the front fork of the FLSTN, If you can tell me the number of the screw you are looking for I can give you the part number.
It is not on this break out. 39 is your damper and this is the screw that holds your damper in your down tubes 35 and 36. The screw I am talking about came out of down tube 36 and this screw is screw is not reflected on either side of the diagram.

Now that I look closer ether the damper cup is missing from the diagram as well. 40 is the damper spring but the cup that the damper sets in and seals and seat the damper is not there either.....

Thanks for the help!!!!

Does anyone have an idea of what I am talking about?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 AM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by story808
Did you put some teflon tape or some kind of thread sealer? And that small brass looking washer is there right? I just took mine apart and I used teflon tape cause when I took the bolts out they looked like they had some thread sealer on them. hope this helps you.

Thats not a bad idea!!!!! I'm going to try that. It looks like you can not get this screw unless you buy new dampers as well.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Teflon Tape or Teflon thread sealer has worked for me many times when just a slight leak ..

Old 04-04-2010, 07:16 AM
train913
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the teflon tape,should work fine on a slow leak.Good luck

Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 AM
scissorman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a meteric screw should a brass washer

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure that its not screw #16 on the diagram it will be metric? And did you put the sealing washer brass back in that is right above that #16 screw and if memory serves me correct they use a liquid type of sealer on those screws like liquid teflon when they build those. I am not positive but pretty sure i work where they are made but not in that division.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The print you have probably isn't showing it but the #16 item will be in both down tubes and in one there is hole in bottom of the down tube where the axel goes and you thru the hole and up to the bolt. But its the same bolt as #16 and same brass washer. Make sure that the brass washer is there and make sure you have the right metric bolt and put some teflon tape or liquid teflon on it and put it back in you should be alright.

Quick Reply: Need Some help!!!