Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone mount/charging solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPhone mount/charging solution

Here are some pics:

Above: My iPhone in its $20 Griffin case I bought at Walmart, which is velcro'd to the leather tank panel. The $45 charger cable is from www.powerlet.com and was a custom order that ends in a male coax plug which plugs into my Gerbing heated gear pigtail.

Above: A custom, hand made, leather case I had made at www.bucklehideleather.com for $25 plus shipping. Made by Steve, the owner of the company steve@bucklehideleather.com, located in Nashville, TN. Steve sewed velcro on the back side. It holds my iPhone 3Gs with or without its protective case. It will hold iPhone 4 too. It's a 5-6 oz leather, very strong and protective--one of my favorite accessories on my bike.

Above, you can see just a little of the charging wire tucked bewteen the seat and the tank panel.

Above, you can barely make out the small, rectangular, black plastic inline voltage regulator on the cable running from under the seat, along the frame and then up between the seat front and the tank. I didn't have to use any zip ties or anything.

Hey all,

Thought I'd post what I worked out to put my iPhone on my FLSTC. Didn't want a bunch of wires or a big mounting bracket, so I attached it to my leather tank panel after I took off the HD medallion which came on it.

1. Got a Griffin iPhone case at Walmart for $20. (This model not available online.) It is clear on the back and open on the front, with black rubber around the edges to hold the phone securely. Doesn't look like there's a case at all.

2. Put "industrial" velcro from Walmart (2" x 5") on the back of the Griffin Case (used the loop velcro).

3. Put the hook side velcro on the leather tank panel.

4. Bought a custom iPhone to male coax charging cable from Powerlet.com for $44.95. Here's a pic from their site: http://www.powerlet.com/product/appl...ging-cable/422 but mine ends with a male coax instead of the cigarette power adapter. The male coax attaches to my Gerbing heated gear pigtail which is already on my bike. You could have yours made to fit the two-pin Battery Tender pigtail if you have one. Notice the inline rectangular box on the cable. It's a voltage regulator that protects your iPhone. I've included a pic to show where this fits under my seat. No problem with it melting and I've sat in gridlock for an hour at temperatures over 100 degress.

5. Contacted steve@bucklehideleather.com to make a custom leather case for my iPhone. His website is www.bucklehideleather.com. Excellent craftsmanship, communication and price. Now that he has made the form for this case, you should know it will fit your iPhone 3G and will fit the new iPhone 4 as well with or without the Griffin case (which is availabe for iPhone 3G and 4). Steve sewed a loop style velcro patch on the back the same size as the hook style one on my tank.

Now, when I travel and want to play my itunes or see the GPS, I plug in my iPhone. Otherwise, I put the leather case on the tank instead, sometimes with my iPhone inside. My wife and I listened to tunes and the GPS on a recent 1,800 mile trip (using a simple splitter to plug both our earbuds into the iPhone), and it made it really nice. In a normal rain, the windshield protects the iPhone, but I still removed it and put it in the windshield bag for protection. The Velcro is extremely strong. No security worries, except forgetting it's on my tank and walking away. So far, so good!

Last edited by mcpastor; 06-30-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just dont text while driving, dont want you to hit a cage

Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did the leather case cost you?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Originally Posted by knewt5
What did the leather case cost you?
Made in AMERICA, Nashville, TN to be exact, for $25 plus $3 shipping!!! I'm trying to think of other leather things I need made because I'm so satisfied with this case.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Originally Posted by tk353
just dont text while driving, dont want you to hit a cage
No doubt... I was tempted to check my email between mountain curves. When I did, I missed seeing the only black bear my wife saw on the whole trip!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 AM
unimog_willys
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent him a email, I think thats the way I'll go on the Xbones

Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
mcpastor
Tourer

Originally Posted by unimog_willys
I sent him a email, I think thats the way I'll go on the Xbones
I'm glad I did. No handlebar mount or long wires.

By the way, I have 2 pigtails on my battery, one ending in a female coax plug (for my Gerbing heated gear) and one ending in a two-pin plug (for my Battery Tender Jr.). When I ordered my custom charge cable from Powerlet, I ordered a 20" length (from their inline voltage regulator to a male coax plug), which is more than enough line and it works fine. You can choose any kind of plug you want, and they can sell you a pigtail too if needed. Their custom cables cost exactly the same as their ready made ones.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
unimog_willys
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that going to work great. sure beats trying to dig it out of your pocket with gloves on...lol
I have a few car chargers kicking around so I may get the gun out and put a plug on myself for.....wait for it.........its a rare word with these bikes.......FREE!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
mcpastor
Tourer

Originally Posted by unimog_willys
put a plug on myself for.....wait for it.........its a rare word with these bikes.......FREE!
Somethin' 'bout a "Free Ride" =)

Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

that's a pretty damn sweet set up.

Quick Reply: iPhone mount/charging solution