Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shorter shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Nunezep
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shorter shifter

my dads got a 2007 fxst softail and standing at 5' 4" had to make the bike fit him....A reach seat, dropped the rear an 1" i believe........Just wondedring if anyone knows of a shorter shift lever.....its a lil out of his reach.....so is the brake, but i think one of those clamshell brake covers would prob work......anybody have any other suggestions...........................thanx

Attached Thumbnails shorter shifter-wtf-054.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
klf33 (03-11-2018)
Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up shift lever

I had mine shorten about 7/8" works great, but does increase the amount of pressure needed to up shift. . . . . I had it done by a local machinist and then I painted it satin black and baked it in the oven . . . . poor mans powder coat.

Attached Thumbnails shorter shifter-shift-lever-002.jpg   shorter shifter-shift-lever-001.jpg  
Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried a shorter shifter on mine and it was very difficult to operate. Harder to shift gears and if you think it's hard to neutral now, it's next to impossible with a shorter shift lever. I grew used to the standard length and wouldn't consider anything else now.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mentioned that. I had this hairbrain idea to manufacture shorter shifters and brake pedals for Softails and Baggers. (I had a Sportster and Streetbob before my Heritage which had mid-controls). I even talked to a couple machinists. When I went to the dealer and sat on Softails or Baggers or anything with floorboards I always thought that I wouldn't be able to reach the pedals. (I'm 5'4"). He must have a pretty short inseam 'cause I got a C&C seat which lowered me and moved me forward about an inch. At least that's what I asked for. Maybe a custom seat? My biggest problem was reaching the kickstand. I ended up getting an Arlen Ness which mounts toward the rear and it solved that problem. I've never sat on a Reach Seat but if that's not working you might want to try a custom seat before shortening the pedals.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

Ok. Sorry. I just noticed the picture in your original post. Is that a Standard? I'm still learning the model numbers. Hmmmm, I see the dilemma. It has forward controls? I was thinking it had a heel-toe shifter. I don't think I could reach that either. I know this doesn't help but a model with a heel-toe shifter would probably solve his problem.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Nunezep
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was wondering

Ive seen in j&P mayb............a relocate kit for foward controls....moves the mount back...recalling from memory it was only good up t0 99 vtwins....mayb i can something made for him if possible....i'll take a closser look at his bike 2 day

Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may help for him to switch to boards. I just so happen to have the complete footboards set up for sale in the classifieds from my crossbones.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Amazzzing,, just when i thought Hd had all bases covered...

Old 03-11-2018, 09:22 AM
jackkim1
Stage II

Here's a little info on reaching the shifter on a Heritage Softtail. I am 5.2 and could not reach the shifter so here's what we did. I purchased a Mustang seat which allows me to sit closer to the foot controls however I still could barely reach the shifter. The husband lowered the back end which helped reaching the ground but still not the shifter. We then purchased a Harley Sportster shifter lever which is a shorter length and removed the front and rear lever that was on it. He did have to grind down the shaft just a bit with a drimmel to get the bolt in but it was a very small modification. I read everywhere online that using a shorter shifter lever makes it harder to shift but it's not as bad as they are saying. With my HD riding boots being so thick and sturdy I didn't find it that difficult. I did add a peg extender for extra support.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie D
I had mine shorten about 7/8" works great, but does increase the amount of pressure needed to up shift. . . . . I had it done by a local machinist and then I painted it satin black and baked it in the oven . . . . poor mans powder coat.
That's what i did too. I cut about 3/4" off right behind the peg mounting boss, ground a good taper on the shaft and tig welded the boss back on.
Perfect for me.

All I found when shopping were longer levers. I didn't notice the shifting being any more difficult once the lever was shortened. Any welding shop can do it.

Quick Reply: shorter shifter