Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida turn signal law (question)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Florida turn signal law (question)

Hey everyone Im just trying to figure out this issue with my X-bones and the fender I have. I was considering not running rear turn signals on the bike since I would have to find a place to mount them and get a load equalizer as well.

Anyways I was just trying to figure out if anyone knew if you had to run turn signals in Florida. Ive heard and read everything under the sun about it and some sources say yes, some no, some say if you dont you still have to use hand signals, and some say if you have them you have to use them and cant use hand signals....

I was thinking about keeping the front signals on and using them only as hazards at least for now until I can get everything else figured out... another option was using the ISO grips and turn signal endgrips on them that way you can see them from the front and rear of the bike.

Any ideas or anyone know what the actual law is or is it like every other motorcycle rule in the world and up to the officer issuing the ticket?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 540 Posts

How about calling DMV?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,532 Likes on 4,631 Posts

The AMA website says that turn signals are required in Fl. but does not give any details.

I think they are required for bikes made after a certain year, early `70s I think...

Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Ive seen some websites stating that they are required and some stating that they arent. Cant ever find a date on them and see which is the most recent but I know people who dont use turn signals and havent gotten a ticket for it. Its ridiculous how much the laws have changed here. Im still not sure if my vertical mount license plate is legal or not.

As for calling them I might do that but then again I dont feel like waiting on hold for 30 minutes. Its not a huge issue right now I still have time before I do anything but I want to get everything figured out before a new law comes out making something illegal again.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Abbinc83
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=fl

Here is the link to AMA, Says updated 10\14\08, I don't know how much it helps, just says they are required

Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Well on the HOG site it says they are required. Changed again I see. The license plate thing is 50/50 as well... one law states you can have it vertical and another states it can only be vertical if you have some toll decal and your toll is in good standing.

All these laws and Florida drivers still suck.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

took all of about 5 minutes to look up Florida DMV and find this

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool....orcycle/en/1/2

Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,532 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubz
took all of about 5 minutes to look up Florida DMV and find this

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool....orcycle/en/1/2
So what?

This is not a link for the DMV, it is a link for a traffic school.

It says SHOULD have turn signals.

It does not say MUST have turn signals.

Took me all of 5 seconds to notice that.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Turn signals are safe, and also double as 4 way flashers in an emergency. Get some real cool looking ones, perhaps with clear or smoked lenses and the bike will look sharp. I love the stock bullet style, but there are many out there, including LED types. Go for it. It's the law anyway! What you'll eventually receive in fines for violations, you could get more than a load equalizer and a few turn signals!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Im just going to wait a while and put turn signals on it whenever I get a chance. If I have to wire them as just turn signals and not running lights then ill ride like that for a while but I will end up getting everything together to make them running lights and turn signals.

Ive tried every website that pops up when I search and everything is different or doesnt have a date. There's bikes everywhere around here with something that could possibly be illegal and some people have gotten tickets and others havent even had a second glance. I had blue LED lights on my old bike which technically could of been illegal since you could see them from all sides but I would ride along side cops and they wouldnt even do a double take.

Thanks for the responses but im playing it safe. Not sure when ill get everything done for my bike... still got the Vette to fix up and that may require a new engine block (yay)

Quick Reply: Florida turn signal law (question)