Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing fork lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
slugo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing fork lowering kit

Bike is up on the jack and im getting the nerve up to tear into it and lower it 1 1/2"
Ive got the manual and directions from the kit (progressive with springs) any surprises i should expect? When i take the top fork nut off is there pressure behind it? Is the kit installed without taking the forks off the bike? Anyone with experience that can give me a quick run down of it would be great, i dont want to mess anything up

Thanks..............................

Old 10-22-2006, 09:11 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Installing fork lowering kit

I believe all you have to do is pop off the fork caps, yes there is pressure in there, and then pull out the old springs and spaces, and pop in the new ones. The hardest opart was always to be careful with the fork cap as it was made out of aluminum. I duuno if harleys are made of aliminum. Good luck, I know you can do it.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Only thing I can think of that may give you a "problem" is after its all done. Be careful letting it down as it may not reach the floor with the jack all the way down. Just keep a couple of 2X4" laying around to put under the tires if it doesn't go down far enough to get the jack out from underneath.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:52 PM
slugo
Advanced

Yea i had to do the 2x4 deal to get my jack to fit under it. How much pressure can i expect anubisss? Things gonna fly everywhere?

Old 10-23-2006, 12:17 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

If your worried about things "flying" everywhere. Just put an old towl on the tank, to protect it from possible hits from loose parts, and use another larger one to drape over the trees while you loosen the nut underneath it. A large loosely draped towel will absorb any impact from possible "flying" parts, keep them from hitting you in the face, wear eye shields, and contain them within a small area.

If you needed 2X4's to get the jack under it before, you may need something bigger to get it off.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
slugo
Advanced

Crap, reading more about putting this kit in and i quess i have to take the whole front end apart? Forks out of trees and split um? Little more involved than what im ready for. So much for being told "just take the top nut off n pull out the spring" BS. Im used to working on race cars, not front ends. Man im bummin[&o]

Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
pro1955
Road Captain

Hey dude I work on race cars too, if you can do that this is a breeze. Pull the fork tubes out put the tubes and lower legs in a vice well padded. Take a big socket or wrench take the top off the fork tube, yes it is loaded by the fork spring but put a towel over the end and be ready for it, it's not that much pressure. Pull the fork spring out, (drain the oil out before you remove the forks) collapse the lower legs and tubes together, leave em that way. At the bottom of the lower leg there is a allen head bolt, pull it, I used a 3/8 air gun worked great. Now put the lower legs in the well padded vice and pull the fork tubes out, might have to pull on it several times because the fork seals will be coming out also. Now you did that to change the short springs in the kit, "read the directions" to lower it to the max you use both springs. Now reassemble the forks in the lower legs locktight and torque the bolt to spec. I used a piece of plastic conduit to install the fork seals, now extend the forks put the new long springs in with the tight coils at the top. Install the preload spacers to whatever suits you instructions will tell you how to adjust to your riding style. It is not that hard once you get into it it will be easier than you think.
ORIGINAL: slugo

Crap, reading more about putting this kit in and i quess i have to take the whole front end apart? Forks out of trees and split um? Little more involved than what im ready for. So much for being told "just take the top nut off n pull out the spring" BS. Im used to working on race cars, not front ends. Man im bummin[&o]

Old 10-24-2006, 07:50 PM
slugo
Advanced

Yea im sure i can do it, but if i have to break it down that far i might as well put a set of black lowers on it. Ive looked on e-bay for a set, nothing there. Anyone know links so i can price them out?

Old 10-24-2006, 08:51 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

There was a guy on here not too long ago who had a pair listed on evil-bay.
Here's the posting that he had them under.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_868292/tm.htm

The evil-bay listing was here,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8984270&rd=1,1

Ya might want to PM him and see if he has or will have a set, or can do yours over for you.

Good luck