Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing Question ~ 2001 Softail Standard

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Pricing Question ~ 2001 Softail Standard

Thought I'd check with some of you about a deal I was just offered on a 2001 Softail Standard, and see what you thought..

I've owned Harley's since back in the 1970's, mainly Dyna's, but I love the look of the Softails and would like to pick one up at some point.

Guy I know that owns an independent dealership that sells a lot of used Harley's told me they just got a 2001 model in on a trade for a larger touring model. It was owned by a mechanic he knows, and apparently the bike is in excellent condition, with no mechanical or finish flaws. The bike does have 24,000 miles, but they were mainly highway miles, back and forth to work on rural Missouri highways. No 'strange noises', no tranny problems, no excessive oil use, etc.

It's a carb'd model, just serviced, 2 new tires, windshield, Screamin' Eagle exhaust, Badlander seat, polished forks, and other misc bling. I could probably pick this up for $11,500.

Any negative things I should know about this specific year and model? Does that price sound reasonable or should I try to get it for less?

I'll probably take a trip down to the dealer and check it out in the next day or two, but I wanted to get some opinions...

Thanks in advance, and here are a few pictures that were just taken..

Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pricing Question ~ 2001 Softail Standard

I haven't owned an 01 before, but it looks clean and sounds as though it's been well taken care of...I'd say Go For It!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's had chrome added in the right places IMO...cool mirrors...the windshield is a nice touch...does a backrest come with it? (it has the docking hdwr. for one)...the one thing I could think of that may be worn with those miles might be the cam chain tensioner...if it's CLEAN and starts/runs solid it's a good deal and worth the $$$ IMO but I'd offer $10.5 just for fun and see what happens.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if a backrest is included or not, but I think those 'extended bolts' are the Ghost bolts that are used with the Ghost Bracket quick release saddlebag system.

The guy also has another Black 2001 EFI model with 12,000 miles for about the same price, and a 2005 EFI Deuce with 3,500 miles for around $15,000.

Almost hate to go down there, as sure as the world something is going to end up 'following me home'.. LoL....

Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 PM
reh13
Road Master

I don't think it's all that great of a deal. Maybe it's the area of the country that makes a difference. It's priced a little higher than what I was thinking of asking for mine, and twice the miles. Not only twice the miles, no where near the acc. Mine has the chrome kit on the motor, chrome oil bag, V & H big shots, jet kit, yost power tube, chrome rear wheel, thunderstar front wheel, 1 1/4 drag bars (forget the brand at the moment), billet mirrors, chrome controls (master cyl, clutch, etc), kuryakyn bullet turn signals front and rear, ness 3" ext on the forward controls, progressive 413 shocks, 2 badlander seats (snake skin & smooth), corbin hollywood solo, lepera bare bones gel, butt crack solo, and I'm sure I've forgotten some things.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

See if he'll take less, but at the end of the day, just get it. It's nice and it looks like it's in great shape. It will look better posed with a background of your garage.
BA

Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
reh13
Road Master

Oh yea, same windshield, only mines the quick detach (in the closet, never got around to putting it on), harley's billet grips, doss chrome covers for the swingarm (also haven't had time to install), and and extra set of tins. I swear I believe I have more seats for it, but just can't think of another one right now. The smooth badlander is also new (never ridden on). I'm a seat freak accordong to my wife. She counted 24 or 25 around here not long ago for my 4 bikes. Like I said, maybe it's the area of the country. I thought a fair price for mine was around 11.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
dynrdave
Road Master

This looks like the twin to mine also a 2001, I wrote an article about it last month, anyway I saw it in a mag. for sale for $ 9500. and didnt have a photo, after talking on the phone he said he would take $ 8500. so I took a chance and rented a u-haul trailer and drove the 275 miles to see it , when I got there I found a very beautifull bike, it had just turned 5000 miles and looked like new , I couldnt belive my luck, but used bike prices have come down big time,

Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

You stole that one...guy must have been hurting for $$$
ORIGINAL: dynrdave

This looks like the twin to mine also a 2001, I wrote an article about it last month, anyway I saw it in a mag. for sale for $ 9500. and didnt have a photo, after talking on the phone he said he would take $ 8500. so I took a chance and rented a u-haul trailer and drove the 275 miles to see it , when I got there I found a very beautifull bike, it had just turned 5000 miles and looked like new , I couldnt belive my luck, but used bike prices have come down big time,

Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Loud1
Tourer

Nice bike but I'd say offer less . My brother just bought an 06 EFI 0 miles for fifteen and change OTD with stock nightrain drag bars V&H pipes and a dynojet power commander .

Quick Reply: Pricing Question ~ 2001 Softail Standard