Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me - confused like anything....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on where you live in India...as a fatboy owner and frequent traveler to India I know, unless you plan to only ride in the major metropolitan areas (Delhi, Mumbai, etc.) the fatboy will not work on the roads (and animals) you're likely to encounter.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 AM
rider-first
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I'm bias. I don't even consider any other bikes but Harleys now.
I rode Hondas since I was a teenager always wanting a Harley.
I paid cash for my brand new then FXSTC. I was 29.
I was told by many back then I could have gotten a truck, different bike, etc. I bought what I wanted and was totally pleased with the bike.

I still have it and did the same for my FXCWC. I paid cash for what I wanted.
I guess unlike you, I knew what I wanted and didn't settle for less than what I wanted.

I hope it doesn't come across as bragging about paying cash. It was only mentioned to help show I bought what I wanted instead of accepting less.
True character

@ Fat Cat: yes, you are right. In India we don't know what lies ahead (from dog to buffalo's, everything is on the road...darn) but slowly and gradually things are picking up as biking is getting its grip.

I will be riding around Delhi in most of the cases but I am also planning to take Fat Boy to ladakh. As I ride to ladakh every year on my Royal Enfield. It is around 2200 KM's from New Delhi (to-and-fro) and is one of the best and most scenic road trip around the world. But yes, roads on that route are mostly in worst condition, as good as no road. That is why I was a bit concerned about the ground clearance.

Nevertheless, thanks for your replies people.
I am also planning to do a India trip on my yet to be acquired cruiser.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Harley owners own Harley's because they want a "Harley". If you want performance, buy another bike for half the price. If you need any off-road capability, buy another bike. Modification are prety much unlimited, but at a price.

It is in the end, your choice. What do you want out of this purchase?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

If you really want a Harley you'll know it as soon as you sit on one at the dealer. Or at least that's how it worked for me. I didn't really care about the performance aspects after that, I just wanted one.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
poppavein
Road Master

All the motorcycles made today are great and few people can outride them.

Motorcycles are usually a choice of passion. Harleys and Ducatis do it for me.

If it was about being logical, we'd all be riding BMWs ...

Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
rider-first
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by poppavein
All the motorcycles made today are great and few people can outride them.

Motorcycles are usually a choice of passion. Harleys and Ducatis do it for me.

If it was about being logical, we'd all be riding BMWs ...
Second that...

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

There are three types of people who ride motorcycles:

Motorcyclists- Appreciate most anything on two wheels, usually have more than one brand of bike at at time. Just like to ride and usually do lots of it.

Bikers
- Subscribe to the idea that owning a two wheeled vehicle changes your lifestyle somehow. Usually ride harleys, but real bikers will ride anything. They don't really care what you ride.

Harley riders who think everyone else wants a harley
- Somehow need to feel like everyone wants to be them, and that becomes more important than the ride. These guys get really mad if you talk about the virtues of other bikes and will say that you "just don't get it" if you go with the Thunderbird.

I don't know what the prices are like in India when comparing the two bikes, but here in the US the Tbird Storm is a few grand less expensive, but arguably has better components.

I've not ridden either, so that's all I can tell you.

If I was going to be riding around India though, based on the image I have of your roads and such, I would want to be on a BMW R 1200 GS.

But if you really want a cruiser, and you're going to be dealing with bad roads, I would think that you would put suspension and braking as top priorities. Which of the two you are considering has better suspension and brakes?

and isn't it REALLY hot in india? maybe you should consider the cooling and running temperature on the two bikes you are considering.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
dcgray2
Tourer

If I was to relocate to India (I'm not planning that remotely) I would take a Fatboy with me and expect that I would have something that could survive the best that Indian roads can dish out.

One of the things you may not have been able to pick up on yet is that HDs are really easy to work on and are for the most part very simple and reliable machines. This is particular is why I think HD + India will be a match that works in the long run.

Having said that, my first concern would be the availability of parts & service, you have four dealers spread around the country so that isn't bad.

The second would be the heat. I would definitely order an oil cooler of some sort on the bike.

Will your friends think you made an "intelligent" choice? Probably not, but that's not why people buy harleys. It is definitely an emotional experience.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rider-first
@ Cheesecake: "those that ride Harleys....and those that wish they did!"
- lol, sound of a pro Harley soul. I bet your comments are pushing me towards the mighty "Fatboy"
Not necessarily....just from my personal experience with cruiser riders...

When I'm ridding my non MoCo bikes....I always have HD riders come up and tell me that I'm riding a POS and I should have saved my up money and gotten a real bike....

When I ridding my Harley.... I have Import riders (cruisers) tell me how their bike is "as good as a Harley".... or how much better their bike is...compared to a Harley....I take it as being envious...

You need to do what feels right down inside....
If it were me....I would keep the Busa....
It's something you can put a lot of miles on....really fast!
I regret selling mine!

But back to your original question.... picking between the two different bikes... Only You can make that decision...

CC

Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

get a harley!! this is a harley forum

Quick Reply: Help me - confused like anything....