Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Top end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noisy Top end?

It got in the 50's yesterday so I installed my windshield. Man the rocker clatter from this motor sounds like junk. Is this normal, and if so will roller rockers fix? Couldn't wait to take off the WS so I couldn't hear it, was affecting the way I shift and felt like everybody else could hear it. Motor has 7500 miles and amsoil 20/50. I knew it sounded this way in the past but never ride with the windshield. Just a Full Face. Any thoughts?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Roller rockers won't help; actually they are noiser than stock. What has been done to the motor? If stock, you could just have a sloppy valve train that makes noise. At only 7500 miles, lifters should still be good.

Try to isolate the noise with a $10 automotive stethoscope. If it is the valve train, you might be able to quiet it down by replacing the stock pushrods with adjustables and setting more preload on the lifters. Some motors are just noisy but "they don't all do that"; some are quiet.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

U putting on the shield more than doubled the sound the bounces back to U.

Take it back off and see. Noise gone.

If U still hear it, then Ur pipes are too quiet.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the adjustable push rods. As mentioned, some have more valve train clatter than others. It leads me to believe that some don't have enough preload on the lifters with the stock push rods. With adjustable push rods, you set the preload exactly where it's supposed to be.

Adjustable (2 piece) push rods are also known as 'easy remove' push rods. When changing lifters and/or pulling the cams, you don't have to get into the rocker boxes if you have adjustable push rods.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
MNPatriot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came here because my 08 Road Glide has a noisy top end as well, but I do have roller rockers which is where I figured the problem is. I had it looked at again last year while getting a new SE clutch and the dealer said clearances were fine. I just turn the radio up.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MNPatriot
I came here because my 08 Road Glide has a noisy top end as well, but I do have roller rockers which is where I figured the problem is. I had it looked at again last year while getting a new SE clutch and the dealer said clearances were fine. I just turn the radio up.
Guess I'll have to buy a bagger so I can turn my radio up!! HA!

I asked about this at my dealer too when I gopt my bike. Its my first HD and I wasn't sure what was going on especially since I had a stage 3 installed. It doesn't bother me much now.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everyone when they get their first Harley hears "the noise" and thinks WTF is that? I did...
The pipes are now loud enough that even with a shield on, I can't really hear "the noise".

Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like rocks in a washing machine? Yep, that's a harley. Shorter, faster pulls sometimes helps. In other words, give it more throttle, but don't wind it out.

Other than that, it's normal.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't have a shield then the wind noise and exaust takes care of the rest...Adj pushrods may help. It's a tractor engine what do you want? The only harley thats quiet is a V-rod

Quick Reply: Noisy Top end?