Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on an LA Jockey shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on an LA Jockey shifter

Just bought the LA Jockey shift kit and one of their custom Flying Eyeball handles. Also I think im going to get a etched custom derby cover once I can figure out what I want to have done. I need to read up on the Jockey shift install and clutch adjustment. If I have to pull my cam cover off for any reason its gonna suck... both my pipes will have to be removed.

But as a side project I installed some rear turn signals and rewired everything. They look nice and flash at a normal rate (which I wasn't sure about since they are LEDs). And as another side project I took the spare leather pieces I bought and put it over the battery as a battery cover. I treated and cut it so hopefully it will be decently waterproof. I sprayed it down and the water just rolled off of it so we'll see. It's definitely not the prettiest and I want to trim it down further and possibly tie it down at the sides more so it doesn't stick out but it doesn't look horrible. The pictures make the leather look off from the stock leather.

From directly above you can't see the leather at all. I have a couple other pieces so I'm thinking I will trace the holes I have from the current piece and possibly wrap the sides around the frame so it is tucked in and tight. But I want to see how it holds up to water for now.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the Labriola suicide shifter on my fatboy lo. The fatboy is gone, but I've got the suicide shifter around the garage somewhere. Installation was simple.

Last edited by outgood; 02-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool its going to flow with your overall look.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

What do you have to remove to install the new clutch cable? I skimmed through my HD service manual but didn't really look around too much for it. Figured I would have enough time to check it out when it got here and I'll see what its going to be like to install. For now I gotta figure out this derby cover dilemma.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
outgood
Tourer

Swapped out the cable right at the trx side cover, just have to insert new one into the heim, route to pedal, and adjust freeplay. Unlike hand lever freeplay, leave yourself some extra or you'll end up shooting through an intersection.

Last edited by outgood; 02-13-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. Didn't use the Labriola setup, made my own, but the cable swap is pretty basic. Remove tranny side cover (you'll probably need to remove your rear pipe) and remove the giant spring clip. Swap cables, replace spring clip, and reinstall cover. Be sure to get a good spring clip plier, that clip is a PITA if you have a crappy one, and an in-lb torque wrench. Don't forget a new gasket, and follow all the torque specs. Those cover bolts don't get tightened very much at all.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
HarleyCanada
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OWOF
I had the Labriola suicide shifter on my fatboy lo. The fatboy is gone, but I've got the suicide shifter around the garage somewhere. Installation was simple.
Not to hijack this thread, but are you interested in selling that setup if your not using it....been thinking about going to the suicide shift on my 04 springer???

Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
outgood
Tourer

I'll look for it. I had it on consignment at a shop and some things are MIA, but I think the Suicide Sshifter is complete. It was on a 201o Fatboy Lo with floor boards of course, not sure if it'll work on footpeg setup.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're definitly on the right track! Install is easy.

FYI: I fabricated my own jokey shift

Last edited by JakesDad1; 02-13-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Jockey shifter is cool. Diggin' the seat! Who makes it? Did it mount right up to the stock CB seat mounts and springs?

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on an LA Jockey shifter