Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Mr. Clean? LOL,,, yea, I guess so! I have been called much worse in my day! In case your wondering the clay bar will remove the old wax for you, no need going through all the trouble and worry about stripping the old wax off. I don't know why but yes, I am very picky about my cars and bikes. I just can't see that kind of an expense going uncared for or abused. I can't stand the thought of anyone seeing my bike or car looking nasty and not 100% as sweet as I can make them look. I never got anything for free, working my entire life for anything and everything I have ever had or owned. Also any clay bar can be used on chrome and glass too. Pinicle is by far the best affordable product but sometimes hard to find. Mothers is my 2nd choice as well. Zymol is the only wax I use because it has 1 of the highest carnuba contents in it and it has NO solvent base products in it what so ever, 1 of a very few. It uses citrus as a cleaner and bee's wax as a binder agent. Shine on brothers, shine on!!!
Used Zymol for years, too, then I stumbled across Mothers FX Synwax. I'm not the detail guy(washed maybe 4 times a year, waxed twice), but seems to work just as well and got great reviews.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:54 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default detailing info

if you want all the info with videos and products fairly cheap......

http://www.autogeek.net/

Old 05-19-2012, 01:34 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,888 Likes on 4,674 Posts

Well I'm sold. I'll get some for my Jeep and my wife's car. But I have to ask, what will do to a flat paint?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a clay-bar on all my rides. They make a huge difference.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A flat paint has just as many inpurities stuck in it as any other finish has stuck in it. It removes all of those impurities. I don't know what it will do to a flat finish other then clean it and making it a much more factory and showroom correct finish. Next up, my Jeep!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM
jwilson77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clay bar is great. I use either Meguiar's or Griot's (a little expensive but more clay).

Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,888 Likes on 4,674 Posts

I have a spare tank with the denim paint. I'll try on the bottom and post back. Like I said before, I'm going to get some for my Jeep and wife's car, so I'll try and let you know.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, 1st let me say this. I seldom ever have to wash my bike. It stays pristine. The only thing I actually ever have to wash are my wheels and tires. I MAY use a hose once in a while to blow off dust if I have not done anything to it for a few weeks and it sits or a clean damp cloth. 2nd, a clay bar will strip wax in a heartbeat. 3rd, Dawn will remove wax but it is one of the worst things you can use on a bike, car or finish. It attacks your clear coat and dry's out all your rubber and vinyl. Lastly, take this test. Put your hand in a clean plastic baggy and then run your hand over your paint job after wax has been stripped off. If it is rough it needs clayed, if it is as smoothe as glass, it doesn't.

As far as wax goes? It's all about the Carnuba content and I use Zymol for 2 reasons. 1, it has one of the highest Carnuba contents on the market and 2, It has no solvents or harsh chemical additives in it. Zymol has one product, Zymol Royal glaze, a wax that sales for $8,500.00 for 44 onces, yes, $8,500.00 dollars. It is 70% white Brazillian Carnuba!!! There are waxes that go as high as $36,000.00, yes, 36k!!!. Google it, I SHI! you not!!

I have been detailing cars and bikes on the side since 1972. I don't know it all but what I do know, I know well. If you want a NUMBER 1 FINISH, wash, dry, clay bar, glaze the car with Liquid glass, let it sit in the Sun for 4 hours and bake, remove then wax with a quality high Carnuba content wax, in the shade, then seal it with a detailing compound like Mothers California gold or your favorite detaling compound, your chrome just the same way too. I doubt anyone wants to take it that far but I do when it comes to my bike and my Eldorado and it is a show stopping finish and look.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
+1 Wash the bike first, then clay it with this and follow up with a good wax. I use Turtle Wax ICE. Good stuff, and it makes my 10 year old bike's paint look new.
I tried ICE paste wax and it did nothingt but streak.

I ended up using duratec paint sealant and then meguiars gold glass wax. I'd have zaino, but I haven't got around to spending a million dollars on detail supplies just yet.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM
jayrocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I have a spare tank with the denim paint. I'll try on the bottom and post back. Like I said before, I'm going to get some for my Jeep and wife's car, so I'll try and let you know.
Please do post back I'm very interested in your results I have a denim paint as well also if you could include the brand of product you used that would be very helpful.

Thanks Jay

Quick Reply: Clay bar