Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light bulb keeps blowing - "Dark Knight" Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tail light bulb keeps blowing - "Dark Knight" Night Train

Well guys, got a couple hundred miles on the bike since it has been back together. (2004 Harley Night Train FXSTBI).

Now I have a small electrical issue. At first I though it was just a bad bulb, but now that it has happened for the second time in the last couple days. So here is what I am dealing with:

I have the J&P Cycles extra wide tombstone tail lamp assy mounted on a Fatboy rear fender. I extended the wires for the turn signals, and the tail lamp so that I could pull and re-use the 'circuit board' or 'junction board' from the stock 2004 Night Train tail lamp assembly. I have that under the seat on top of the battery with the main harness, tail lamp harness, and turn signal harnesses plugged into it. The brake light works fine, but it keeps blowing the second filament for the running light in the bulb. Not sure why. If anyone has any ideas.. Please let me know. I am going to look at everything tomorrow morning but just as a reinforcing fact, everything that was lengthened was soldered and wrapped with heat shrink tubing. I at least make an attempt to show that I look like I know what I am doing.. LOL.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 AM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I mounted a new taillight on my CB, I kept blowing the tailighgt every ride. I finally figured out that I had mounted the light to a solid bracket with no cushion. I did this because the light housing was actually the ground for the unit. I then put a thin piece of rubber in between the light and where it was mounted inorder to protect the light from the impact / shock of bumps. I wired a seperate little ground wire to the frame. Problem solved, havent blown a bulb since, over a year.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Do the bulbs looked like they were burned or not? Down by the contacts? If so it may not be getting good contact and causes too much resistance. Try dielectric grease.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 AM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same issue as CT with my Train. Mine has an adjustable air ride which allows me to cruise at stock height or fully slammed. When I ride slammed I have to pay particular attention to what I ride over as I will break taillight bulbs as well from bumps and such. At least they are cheap. I have already broken two since I bought the bike last February.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Well, the tail light is a solid mount but came with a rubber gasket. This is being used. The housing does not ground itself, because the light is a 3-wire system.

Would the fact that I stripped the front signals off (unplugged from under the tank) have anything to do with it? I didn't think it would, but I figured I would ask.

I will take a look at the bulb today to see if there are any burn marks on it. Otherwise, is it just because the back end is subject to so much banging around? I wonder if getting an LED bulb in there would do the trick.... Hm, it's worth a shot. I have already spent about $7 the last couple days on these filament bulbs. Maybe I'll spring and try an LED. Seems as though they are a little more durable.

Also, I ordered a lowering kit for the rear of the bike. Still gotta get a kit for the front. I'll wait 'til winter to put them in though, as when I do the front I'll have some pieces powder coated. Then about all that is left is wheels....

Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tombestone

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
Well guys, got a couple hundred miles on the bike since it has been back together. (2004 Harley Night Train FXSTBI).

Now I have a small electrical issue. At first I though it was just a bad bulb, but now that it has happened for the second time in the last couple days. So here is what I am dealing with:

I have the J&P Cycles extra wide tombstone tail lamp assy mounted on a Fatboy rear fender. I extended the wires for the turn signals, and the tail lamp so that I could pull and re-use the 'circuit board' or 'junction board' from the stock 2004 Night Train tail lamp assembly. I have that under the seat on top of the battery with the main harness, tail lamp harness, and turn signal harnesses plugged into it. The brake light works fine, but it keeps blowing the second filament for the running light in the bulb. Not sure why. If anyone has any ideas.. Please let me know. I am going to look at everything tomorrow morning but just as a reinforcing fact, everything that was lengthened was soldered and wrapped with heat shrink tubing. I at least make an attempt to show that I look like I know what I am doing.. LOL.
Would be interested to see pics of the Tombstone light setup. Might be an option for my fatty.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM
vulcanater
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to put a Fatboy rear fender and Tombstone tail light on my Night Train. I will be watching this thread to see if you get the problem solved. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Light

Did the light cover the fatboy brake light hole or did you have to weld a plate and repaint????

Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by Forge
Did the light cover the fatboy brake light hole or did you have to weld a plate and repaint????
It covers the hole in the fender just fine. It does not cover the license plate bracket holes, and when you install the bracket (at least the one I bought) it hits the tail light. Not a big deal to me, but to some it may be. The light does not fit the curvature of the fender the best but once you get it all bolted down and tight it looks pretty good.

I drove all over looking for an LED 2057 bulb to put in the tail light to see if that cures the broken filament problem. Bought an 1157 from the local Harley dealer and got it home. Plugged it in and the damn thing was amber colored. Of course, no returns on electrical items once opened. I guess it is my own fault for not reading what the guy gave me.

So I figured what the hell. I would try looking at the connections. Turned the bike on, pulled the seat, put a filament bulb in with some white lithium grease and started wiggling all of the soldered connections as well as the junction block where all of the plugs meet.. Nothing. Could not get the thing to blow the running lamp filament. I am at a loss except for thinking that the vibration is causing it to blow. Not sure what you guys think.

Oh, and there was no burning marks on the old bulbs from arcing or anything. Just a simple blown filament. The (J&P Cycles) part number of the tail light is: 3400640. The license plate bracket is part number: 3400060.

Here is a picture of the tail lamp and license plate setup I've got...

Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Well guys, it appears I may have fixed the problem. Installed a LED dual function bulb and it seems to be holding up. It must have been the amount of vibrations and such (bike vibrates/shakes more from the exhaust as well) that was causing the filament to blow on the incandescent bulbs.

So just an FYI for any of you looking to do the tombstone tail light conversion, I would recommend using an LED style bulb.

Lesson learned.