Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission drain plug or secondary oil plug?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM
PhatBoyHigh
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission drain plug or secondary oil plug?

I just recently attempted changing out the engine oil on my 2011 Fatboy Lo. I evidently pulled out the wrong plug (under the bike towards the right front) because not alot of engine oil (and yes, it looked like dirty engine oil draining) drained from this plug. When i noticed this, i also realized I was draining the wrong plug (possibly the tranmission oil plug?) because i didn't see a decrease from the engine oil dipstick. by this point in time, it was completely drained so i put the plug back in and proceeded to the rear plug (actual engine oil plug) and drained it. I filled the engine oil to capacity ('full') then checked the transmission dipstick to see if I needed to add more since i assumed i drained the tranmission fluid. Pulled the dipstick out, and it showed full, and in addition, the fluid was bright red (not the stuff that came out of the original drain plug that i assumed was the transmission plug). So i'm trying to figure out what oil is contained from this drain plug?! AND, where would the tranmission drain plug be if thats not it?! Please help!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oil drain plug is in the frame. Transmission drain plug is between the shock bodies. Primary drain plug is on under the primary.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

You just drained oil from the sump pan. No harm but that plug is tapered so don't overtighten it and use a thread sealer on it or may leak. There is only a small amount of oil that drains there. Leave it alone in the future. Tranny oil plug is between the shocks

Last edited by golfblues; 10-25-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,600 Likes on 4,617 Posts

what size wrench did you use to drain the mystery plug? all the oil drain plus are 5/8. if you used an allen socket, you took the sump drain out as stated above

Old 10-25-2012, 08:45 AM
PhatBoyHigh
Novice

ahh, i was wondering why it was such a pain in the *** getting that plug out. yes, i used an allen socket for the mystery plug. I'll pull the sump pump plug out again and put a sealer on it. will regular locktite thread locker work? Thanks for the help fellas, you just saved me a huge headache. I called HD in Fairfax (where i purchased the bike) and their exact words, "we're not getting paid to give you the information so take a look at the manual". Steer clear of these ********.....

Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

for some reason pipe thread sealant is better for that plug

Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
PhatBoyHigh
Novice

thx golf....

Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhatBoyHigh
thx golf....
But when I made that same mistake I used 243 blue which works with threads that may have oil on them. Never had a problem.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM
PhatBoyHigh
Novice

adhereing to the threads w oil on them was one of my concerns. About to run out to Advance Auto parts now...i'll check to see if they have 243. Thx.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhatBoyHigh
adhereing to the threads w oil on them was one of my concerns. About to run out to Advance Auto parts now...i'll check to see if they have 243. Thx.
Just get a tube of sealant and be done with it. I use 243 on most everything else unless I need red.

This one
http://www.all-spec.com/products/56707.html

567 pst

Last edited by golfblues; 10-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission drain plug or secondary oil plug?