Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed, wheel spacer issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed, wheel spacer issue

2012 Deluxe

So I got my DNA wheels Friday, went to install them and rear went well lines up nice and don't need a spacer for the sprocket. Good deal.

Front on the other hand is giving me fits.

Initially the spacers were to wide to fit and offset the wheel a few mm towards the right so the caliper would be off the fork maybe 5mm tops. Talked to another member and they suggested checking to ensure that DNA didn't install 1" bearings which are wider bearings and cause issues with spacers, and since my Luxe comes with a 25mm axle the 1" bearings I.D. will be to big anyways. So sure enough they are the 1" bearings with the wider case (thicker) so took the wheel to a local Indy and had them install the 25mm bearings.

They had concerns installing the bearings with the DNA inner spacer since it was for 1" bearings so they used the inner spacer from my stock wheel and installed the bearing.

With the new bearings installed the stock spacers went in fine, but now the rotor is to far to the left and I can't get the caliper on as it hits the fork leg.

So I cut a piece of 1" I.D. PVC pipe to mess with new spacer sizes. The stock spacer is 1 1/8" so I started with 1 3/16" and 1 1/4". the 1 1/4" spacer sets the rotor right in the middle of the caliper but off sets the tire in the fender enough to be a concern to me, the 1 3/16 is still off sets the wheel in the fender but 1/16" less but moves the rotor pretty close to the caliper.

I'm thinking that the Indy may not have installed the bearings correctly for the wheel. Here's why - the non rotor side bearing is flush and the rotor side is inset about 1/4" and looking at the stock wheel it was maybe and 1/8" inset.

I'd like to know if anyone knows which side of the DNA hub has the flange on it to set the bearing spacing. It is possible they didn't set the correct side first and offset the bearings in the wheel. I'd be pretty upset if they did since now I gotta either pay for them to fix it or do it myself, and likely destroy the brand new bearings.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:27 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What would really concern me is that you ordered wheels for a Softail and they sent you a front wheel with 1" bearings. That is a bad indication by itself since Softails never had a 1" bearing/axle in the front. Did the 1" bearings sit flush with the hub? If so then I am pretty sure they sent you the wrong wheel all together and probably the only way to get it to work would be to measure the inside of the hub from bearing seat to bearing seat and cut an inner spacer that width. Then bottom out both bearings in the seats. Then you would have to cut outer spacers and also machine one for the rotor.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

Lol, that is bad news. Looks like I'm going back to the shop i ordered from Monday.

I gotta get the bearings out to get my inner spacer out too. This Blows. I'll call DNA monday maybe they will expedite this

Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

Anyone got any tips?

Seems like to me to make this work and center the wheel in between the forks I need to machine the hub to get the rotor to fit. Anyone else have thoughts?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take the wheel back to where ever I purchased it and either get an exchange or refund. For future reference, if you are in the market for DNA wheels only purchase from www.kcint.com

Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

Well I was going to order from KCint but my local shop was both local and the same price and is also a distributor for DNA. While not nearly the size of KCint but I have never had an issue with them getting parts and have confidence in them getting it right.

I'm just hoping for a fix with out having to send it back and waiting another few weeks.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

Ghostrider not that I didn't believe what you said but I went out and did some verification checks and confirmed to me that what you said is 100% correct, the only thing I can figure is it has to be the wrong hub.

Here's what I did to verify that.

Set the tire dead center in the fender by measuring with a digital caliper from the rim to the fender edge, then sighting down the fender using the point on the trim to check on the tread and dead perfect.

Measured for a spacer and got 7/8". Cut new mock up spacer using 1" I.D. PVC (great for testing spacer length) and mounted the wheel with the rotor.

Checked for tire center and it was dead nuts still, so checked rotor fitment and sure enough about 1/4" offset on the caliper.

That is a big big big issue.

So I will call DNA in the morning and verify the wrong hub and get a new wheel en route hopefully asap.

From my thought process, and check this if I'm wrong here, but regardless of where the bearing sits in the wheel by setting the wheel center in the forks if the rotor doesn't sit into the caliper right no matter what I do I will not be able to keep the wheel center and rotor aligned.

We shall see what happens.