Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch with momentary start position

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Dee436
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch with momentary start position

Hi

I have a 2004 softail, got rid of all the switches on the bars and fitted a solonoid starter button.
It works okay but on this year of softail one of the oil lines is right in front of the start button so its real awkward to get to and a pain to use day to day.
I thought the ideal soloution would be to replace the ignition switch with an off-run-start type switch, same as you have in a car.
I have seen lots of aftermarket types that fit in a bracket under the tank or similar but non that are a replacement for the one mounted on the dash, I know I would have to hook up the wires that were originally to the start button on the bars and non of that would be a problem just don't seem to be able to find a switch with the start functionality that replaces the original in the dash.
does anyone know if someone actually makes these or do I just need to forget about it and move on?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think you could just leave the stock ignition in place, and get a small momentary toggle switch you could put in the dash. Hook up the wires and voila. I'm no electrician, but seems feasible.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wires to your old switch already go to the starter relay so you just need to pick a new momentary switch, mount it somewhere and wire it up. Check out the polished stainless momentary button switch in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-controls.html

Cool push button start option, you can even drill and tap to mount it in your bars if you want.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Dee436
Stage III

Hi

Thanks for the ideas
I know it would be easy to wire another flip switch or button or even use some of the nice looking switch gear on the bars.
Thing is I have eliminated all wiring and switches from the bars so don't want to put any back on nor add switches anywhere else, the thought behind a stock ignition that had a start position was to keep it clean and simple without adding anything else.
I will either adapt something or just swap the oil tank out so the solenoid button is more feasible to use.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
camo36
Advanced

when i took my buttons off the bars I went to Radio shack and bought this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062508

I mounted it to the dash on the opposite side of the odometer button, so on the right side of the dash. soldered on wires to the button and ran the wires through male/female connectors to make for an easy dash removal if needed, and down to the fuse box where i simply pulled the starter relay and added male connectors to the end of the wires and plugged the 2 wires into the starting relay connectors.

so now all i do is turn the ignition key on, and hit that button on the dash like you'd normally use the button on the bar.

very clean, very discrete.

Tube Vid I made for my brother a while ago, may help out.
http://

Last edited by camo36; 12-10-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Tube Vid
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
t34418l3-1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me with the solenoid button, so, I just went to napa auto and bought a 12vdc starter button, used the wiring from starter button on hand controls and put my kill switch to a toggle and it works like a charm, I put mine on the back side of my nacelle because I didn't want to drill holes in my blackline dash, plus it's semi hidden this way!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Dee436
Stage III

I just ordered some of these
http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...switch&Ntk=All
Mini push button switches by bikers choice.
If I dont find anything in the way of an ignition switch I will give them a try.

Last edited by Dee436; 12-11-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Wrong url
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 AM
kateean2
Advanced

Just what I needed, thanks a lot.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:27 PM
AlphaMC
Stage II

Hey everyone I have a 2007 Nightster and I am currently trying to hook up this ignition:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p2732/...nition-switch/

so that it will start like a car. However, being the noob that I am at this i need some guidance. I have the three wires from the stock ignition Red, Red/black and red grey. From what I understand Red=Battery, Red/Black=Ignition and Red/Grey=Access. Then I also have the wires from the stock start button.
So Red would be hooked to the "B" position. Start Button goes to the "S" position. However I am confused Where Red/Black and Red/Grey go. It says "A" is for Access & Ignition. So do they both hook on there?

Thanks for any help.