Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking to left - Why???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tracking to left - Why???

I did a search on this subject and did not find anything that was really helpful so I thought I'd just ask the question.

I had a new rear tire installed a couple of hundred miles ago. The bike tracks almost straight but "drifts" to the left if I let go of the bars. I have to keep a slight pressure (push on left) on the bars to keep the bike straight down the road.

I suspected the rear might be "out of alignment" so I measured from the center of the pivot bolt to the center of the rear axle on both sides. They are exactly the same. Tire pressures are good as well.

It's not bad and I can get the bike to track straight (no hands) if I lean slightly to the right or "create" some air drag on that side. Could this be procession (gyro effect) from the front wheel? Got any ideas as to what's causing this?

I do have the rear loaded a bit with Hard Bags and a Tourpak but I also have a fairing, radio, Amp, speakers, etc on the forks so that would offset much of the weight on the rear. The front does feel a bit light at times however and I can induce a front end wobble doing the "hands off" thing at times.

I've checked about everything EXCEPT to see if the wheels are true ( they are spokes).

Ideas anyone?

Thanks, D

Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

There should be a thread on here on how to check alignment. Also check youtube.

Stone

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This seems to be a common problem with Softails. My 06 FXST had the same problem. Like you, I measured and checked everything that I could think of. I ended up adjusting the rear wheel about 1/16" more on the left side adjuster and it tracks straight now. I checked belt alignment, tension and tire wear and everything has been perfect since I started running this "offset" 2 years ago. Is it the correct solution? Maybe, maybe not...but I haven't seen any negatives from it. Just my

Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

mine has done that since it was knew and I told the dealer about it many times and they say it tracks straight so apparently Im just not riding it properly

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which side of your pants to you keep your wallet/keys/money/phone in?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I have noticed in the past is that the rear wheel can measure out to be in line but if the belt rides to the outside of the pulley then the bike is going to pull to the left. Adjust the right side until the belt rides dead center of the rear pulley and the bike usually will track straight.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 AM
6gear
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tracking left

My 08 Fat Boy often tracks slightly to the left.
Like you I have meticulously aligned the rear wheel. "They" say the belt will naturally pull more, on the left I think.

It the asphalt is really good, the tracking is minimal; I can ride for miles with very little encouragement to the right. This does freak out the locals.

If you got a sterio, try a little more bass on the left side! LoL

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Mill908
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has an offset of 1/16-3/32 (wheel) and the belt is true to the center, read this and then was curious, mine tracks straight as a wipe with a throttle lock and my hands in my pockets, hope that helps some how.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Your bike, like every single motorcycle on the planet, has axle adjusters. The reason they are there is to adjust the rear wheel. You as the end user MUST do a certain amount of fine tuning. The manufacture can only do so much on a mass produced machine. If the bike pulls to the right you must loosen the axle nut slighty and adjust the left axle adjuster. 1/2 a turn at a time. Tightem the nut and go ride the bike again. If it pulls to the left, you adjust the right axle adjuster. It often takes a few tries, but that's how its done. Always keep belt tension in mind when making adjustments. Its basic maintenence that that vast majority of us forget to do because we just get "used" to the pull. Its quite simple but getting a torque wrench is important to retighten the axle nut correctly. The point is, if the bike doesn't roll straight, you adjust the rear tire, its the ONLY fixed part of the motorcycle that touches the road.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Make sure your spokes are all properly torqued.

Your new rear tire may not be completely true but it doesn't sound like yours is out enough to warrant taking it back if that's the issue. Put the bike on a jack, start it up, put it in gear, and watch the tread from behind the bike. You will need a friend at the controls in case something goes amiss.

I don't agree with one of the posts... one face of an adjuster nut can be enough to make a difference, not a half turn. If your frame is straight this shouldn't be an issue if center of swing arm pivot to center of axle is exactly the same on both sides. Long straight edges bound to the rear wheel and measurements taken at the front wheel are more accurate. Measuring the adjuster nut seat on the frame to the center of the axle isn't accurate enough except for a quick check.

Fall away can cause this.

Imbalance in weight distribution can cause it (more so if your bike is perfectly aligned).

If you have high mileage your swing arm bushings can be a problem.

Some Softail models have an offset between the front and rear wheel from the factory (Nightrain for one). I don't know how these go down the road straight... in theory everything is still pointing straight forward (frame and each wheel) but I would think it makes other alignment issues more critical and would pronounce a lean more on one side than the other when riding.

If you ride in South Carolina the roads are so bad you would never let loose of the handlebars so why worry? <grin>

C#

Quick Reply: Tracking to left - Why???