Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol and Aviation fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Bullbutch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol and Aviation fuel

I'm reading about this gas with Ethanol in it and the problems it's causing and read that people are using aviation fuel instead. Anyone hear of this and is it safe?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Radimus
Tourer

I have a friend that lives on his 'Busa and he does his best to use aviation fuel, especially when he is doing street drags.

Over the long haul Ethanol gas is bad for engines, but if you run a cleaner through it occasionally, it will be fine.

Edit: It does run much hotter than regular gas does... Watch your pipes

Last edited by Radimus; 03-29-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Bullbutch
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Radimus
I have a friend that lives on his 'Busa and he does his best to use aviation fuel, especially when he is doing street drags.

Over the long haul Ethanol gas is bad for engines, but if you run a cleaner through it occasionally, it will be fine.
So I can run Aviation fuel with no problems, and can you give me the name of a good cleaner i can buy?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Radimus
Tourer

Many like Seafoam and Murphy

Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Over the long haul ethanol won`t harm your engine. I`ve been running the crap for 13 years in my vehicles without issue. I`ve been an aircraft mech for the past 39 years, and have never considered using avgas or aircraft oil in any of my vehicles.

What are you going to do, stop at the airport every time you need gas? Just buy the best pump gas you can find.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-29-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Normal ethanol enhanced gas is fine. All modern fuel systems and engines are designed to deal with it.
In fact, E-85 is fast becoming the preferred alternative to race gas, even though the changes needed to run E-85 are pretty extensive. One advantage is that it burns cooler, lowering combustion temperatures and oil temperatures, and the heat load on the cooling system.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://pure-gas.org/

I use this this find local stations near by that sells gas with no ethanol. Even though modern motors can handle 10% ethanol I prefer the old standard.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Bullbutch
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Over the long haul ethanol won`t harm your engine. I`ve been running the crap for 13 years in my vehicles without issue. I`ve been an aircraft mech for the past 39 years, and have never considered using avgas or aircraft oil in any of my vehicles.

What are you going to do, stop at the airport every time you need gas? Just buy the best pump gas you can find.
I have a small airport a few miles away from me actually.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullbutch
I have a small airport a few miles away from me actually.
Well, that will be convenient. You can throw a couple of 5 gallon gas cans into the car or truck, go to the airport, get them filled, lug them back home, and with funnel, dump the stuff into the bike. That will be fun, especially if you have the new safety gas cans that are guaranteed to slop fuel everywhere.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Aviation fuel will cost you more and it's higher octane will result in poor fuel mileage and loss of power in a stock Harley. Higher octane fuel burns slower and is best used in higher compression engines. So all in all aviation and race fuel is a wast of money for a stock engine.

Quick Reply: Ethanol and Aviation fuel