Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Cams: Why Bother Unbolting Oil Pump From Cam Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Doing Cams: Why Bother Unbolting Oil Pump From Cam Plate?

Doing cams on a 2007 FXSTC.

All the instruction I read calls for unbolting the 4 bolts that hold the oil pump to the back of the cam plate, prior to removing the cam plate assembly from the engine.

It seems as though you could just as easily slide the oil pump out with it bolted to the cam plate. This would also negate the need for rotating the rear wheel to align the oil pump when reinstalling.

Why is this step necessary?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2013, 04:53 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

No. Actually, if you watch this video you'll see that they never remove the pump from the cam plate at all. I didn't either. Good thinking and good luck.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 AM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not required

not necessary, unless you are changing the cam plate or oil pump. in the instructional video supplied with my FM big bore kit the oil pump is left intact and reinstalled with the cam plate. hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
mesquite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me a little about cams. I've got a new Road King and tomorrow I'm getting the mods added. I've paid for an engine upgrade...adding a cam. I know my service man at Harley will do it right...I'm just wondering if that means one or two cams. I'm paying about $1,000 for this upgrade. I'm expecting to feel the extra power. Will it meed one or two cams? And will the increased power be easy to feel?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 AM
11lofatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twin cam. 2

Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mesquite
Please tell me a little about cams. I've got a new Road King and tomorrow I'm getting the mods added. I've paid for an engine upgrade...adding a cam. I know my service man at Harley will do it right...I'm just wondering if that means one or two cams. I'm paying about $1,000 for this upgrade. I'm expecting to feel the extra power. Will it meed one or two cams? And will the increased power be easy to feel?
just do search on here about cams many many threads on the subject, as you can see from the attached pic you will, in fact get 4 cam lobes 2 on each camshaft one exhaust one intake.

Last edited by threadstopper; 03-31-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

Those are not called cams on the camshaft , there called cam lobes , 1 exhaust and 1 intake , they are ground at a precise degree on the cam to achieve a desired valve timing. A camshaft is one piece including the lobes.

Last edited by Stopit; 03-31-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice video's, very informative. I have an 06 so when I go in to do mine I am going to upgrade to the SE kit so all that is coming out of there anyway. Has anyone gone to the SE kit, hi flow and scavenge oil pump? Shoot, come to think of it most of you's guys bikes are newer and don't need that upgrade. Mine also only has 6k miles on it so I am in no hurry. I have many miles left before I have to change them out. I probably won't wait until it needs it though, I really like the idea of having that higher output oil pump with the high compression motor I'm running. Anyone? Gone to that SE kit? Thoughts? Tip's? Any noticeable difference? I am told it will run a few degree's cooler, true? Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

11LO gave the perfect answer. Twin Cam motor gets 2 cams and if you paid for a cam upgrade on a Twin Cam, they'll certainly put 2 in.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Nice video's, very informative. I have an 06 so when I go in to do mine I am going to upgrade to the SE kit so all that is coming out of there anyway. Has anyone gone to the SE kit, hi flow and scavenge oil pump? Shoot, come to think of it most of you's guys bikes are newer and don't need that upgrade. Mine also only has 6k miles on it so I am in no hurry. I have many miles left before I have to change them out. I probably won't wait until it needs it though, I really like the idea of having that higher output oil pump with the high compression motor I'm running. Anyone? Gone to that SE kit? Thoughts? Tip's? Any noticeable difference? I am told it will run a few degree's cooler, true? Thanks in advance for any input.
Hey, bro. Is that the kit that upgrades the tensioner shoes to hydraulic? If so, you may want do a little more research on it, as I've read here that the SE kit does not include a roller chain for the inner sprockets. You definitely need roller chains on both sides, unless you want continue inspecting the inner shoe for wear. I believe the upgrade kit from Andrews or Bob Wood is the one you want.

Quick Reply: Doing Cams: Why Bother Unbolting Oil Pump From Cam Plate?