Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tallboy seat ordered

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 PM
l-eater
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tallboy seat ordered

I recently purchased a 2007 Night Train and rode it about 2 hours to get it home. About 10 minutes into the trip I was starting to become uncomfortable. 20 mins in and I was questioning why I bought the thing. Stopped and got off 3 times in the 2 hour trip-no way could I have rode straight thru...most uncomfortable bike I have ever been on and it is 100% seat related.

So I have spent a couple days researching and reading and looking at pics of all the different seats trying to decide what would work for my needs. I finally settled on the Tallboy seat from Harley, I think it will be perfect (hope so anyways). Ordered one today, was told it will take a week or so to come in so hopefully soon I will be able to report back with some positive things to say about the seat!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you experiencing the pain? In your butt? Back? Arms?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I am 6'5" and can only do <60 minutes at a time on my fxstc badlander seat before my backside is numb. I love the look of the badlander so I ride the streets on the softail and then ride the flhr with the tallboy seat for longer trips. You will like the tallboy, but if you are riding 2 up it will rob your passenger of the extra real estate that it provides to you.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
l-eater
Intermediate

I'm 6'2" and about 270-my butt went numb and then it started hurting the nerves in my tailbone. It's like the middle of the angle where the seat transitions from the driver part to the passenger part pushes right on my tailbone.

Right after I posted this I borrowed a seat from a friend and just sitting on it (havent actually rode the bike with it) I think it would be comfy for me. It is a Harley seat but he doesn't remember what it is called and I don't see anything on Harleys website that looks like this one. It is similiar in looks to the Saddlemen "Explorer"seat. Doesnt matter I guess, he doesnt want to get rid of it and looks like Harley doesnt make it anymore.

Anyways, sitting on the bike and trying to guess where the Tallboy is gonna position me it looks like the bars wont work. So I am probably looking at new bars or some kind of angled back risers (bike has the stock bars) are going to be necessary.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6'4" here and I personally found the Tallboy to be one of the most uncomfortable seats ever. I was sliding around in it and all... I have a solo Lepera now and I'm happy

I would go with the Wide Mustang over Tallboy any day!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default seating

I bought a Fatboy Lo a couple of years ago and had a 300mile ride home. I swear Harley should be sued for their stock seat. My tail bone was ruined by the time I got home. Moaned for a week. I've been using Corbin seats for 25 years so ordered up one of their solo seats. They'd changed some on how the leather is glued to the foam and there was stitching in the seat which I had told them I didn't want because of our rainy weather. I was ticked but was heading down the Alcan to Sturgis and would have cancled the trip if I'd a had to ride the stocker(it is that bad). Tried it out and as usual their seat worked perfect. Other parts wore out before my butt(my bum shoulder). Highly recomended.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 PM
mruffell
3rd Gear

I am 6 feet tall, long arms, about 230 lbs. Got a 2013 fatboy. My dealer let me try out a few seats they had as demo seats. I settled on the tallboy seat. The best thing about the tallboy seat is that it is multiposition. The seat provides a level seat pad so you can sit close to the tank, or sit back against the back pad. It reminds me of my snowmobile seat where I can adjust my position. The padding on the tallboy seat is also excellent, much thicker padding than stock seat. Long rides are GREAT because of the padding and multiposition posture. I do not like the low rider seats that seem so popular for some dumb reason.