Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle/Idle Cable adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
sp9997
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle/Idle Cable adjustment.

Hi guys,

I have 2008 fatboy and for couple days now I am trying to adjust my throttle/idle cable as per the book and something is not working right.

ISSUES:
1) After completing the adjustment as listed below from the book, the throttle grip does not return back when wheel is turned fully left. straight on and right is no issue.

2) The throttle friction screw at the bottom of the housing cannot not hold the grip no matter how tight the screw is (ofcourse I did not jam it in ..trying to just hand tight) I want to use throttle tender from barefoot willes but if the screw is not going to stick I wont be able to use it for cruise.

3) The spring mentioned in "step 6" is at the bottom of the cable guide in my case. The best I can do is touch the idle cable housing to the cable guide..cannot touch the spring as mentioned...is that a problem??

WHAT GIVES??? PLEASE HELP.

From the book:

Adjust throttle cables:
1. See Figure 1-30. Slide rubber boot off throttle cable adjuster mechanism (2).

2. Holding cable adjuster with a 3/8 inch wrench, loosen jam nut turning in a clockwise direction.

3. Back jam nut (3) away from cable adjuster until it stops. Turn cable adjuster clockwise until it contacts jam nut. Repeat procedure on idle cable adjuster.

4. See Figure 1-31. Point the front wheel straight ahead.Gently turn the throttle grip so that the throttle is wide open (fully counterclockwise) and then hold in position. Now turn the throttle cable adjuster counterclockwise until the throttle cam (2) just touches the cam stop (5) on the induction module.

5. Release the throttle grip, turn throttle cable adjuster counterclockwise an additional 1/2-1 full turn, and then tighten the jam nut against the cable adjuster. Cover cable adjuster mechanism with rubber boot.

6. Turn the front wheel full right. Turn the idle cable adjuster counterclockwise until the cable housing (4) just touchesthe spring (6) in the cable guide (as seen through slot).

7. Work the throttle grip to verify that the throttle cable returns to the idle position when released. If the cable does not return to idle, turn the cable adjuster clockwise slightly until the correct response is achieved.

8. Tighten jam nut against the cable adjuster and cover cable adjuster mechanism with rubber boot.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try doing #7 with the bars all the way left?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM
sp9997
Tourer

Yes, I can back out the idle cable all the way out to zero adjustment. Even than throttle grip gently rolls back does not really snap back. Throttle friction screw still does not catch ..

Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM
camo36
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are they stock cables or aftermarket? reason i'm asking is that there is a proper routing procedure that can influence throttle snapback. another reason i'm asking is that if new ones were installed the housing had to be opened up, which means all the internals for the thumb screw may be missing.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM
sp9997
Tourer

I installed sterling chromite stock +3 length 2 years ago. Everything was fine till I decided to lube and adjust the cables since I did not do it last year. The issue with snap back is new did not exist before today.