Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage1 and Damage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Softail HA
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stage1 and Damage.

Just finished putting on my screaming eagle heavy breather, I already have my Vance and Hines pipes on. The dealer can;t get me in till Monday ,for the stage one download. Should I worry about driving it over the weekend, or will I be okay as long as I am easy on it. 2011 Heritage.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

This reminds me of a thread I posted when I was doing my Stage 1.

You'll be fine over the weekend.

However, you may want to reconsider that dealer download. There's been mixed success with them. It's a canned download and doesn't always work out well with every bike. (Won't hurt your bike, just doesn't always give the desired results.)

Search XiEDs and ViEDs on this site for an alternative if interested. Basically, it's a 100 buck device that you plug into your 02 sensors to adjust the fuel richness. Install takes about 10 minutes. Love mine. My Slim is running great with them.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
This reminds me of a thread I posted when I was doing my Stage 1.

You'll be fine over the weekend.

However, you may want to reconsider that dealer download. There's been mixed success with them. It's a canned download and doesn't always work out well with every bike. (Won't hurt your bike, just doesn't always give the desired results.)

Search XiEDs and ViEDs on this site for an alternative if interested. Basically, it's a 100 buck device that you plug into your 02 sensors to adjust the fuel richness. Install takes about 10 minutes. Love mine. My Slim is running great with them.
What he said...
My stage 1 remap was nothing more than a canned download installed by the dealer, and as such it still complied with EPA emissions requirements - meaning it will still be too lean.
All it did was it tweaked the timing, and increased the rev limiter to I believe 6200, but it didn't touch the AFR.
As a result, it ran well, but it also ran hotter with more decel popping.
ViED's solved both those problems.
Oil temps dropped by at least 20° and the decel popping all but vanished - and the bike never ran better.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Or call Fuel Moto and get one of their fuel injection programmers. I got the PC V and they loaded it with a dyno program based on my equipment. I'll install it when the quiet baffles come in. For a 13 Fatboy

Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

+1 on Calling Fuel Moto and getting a fuel tuner like a DynoJet "Micro Tuner".
Better yet, go an e-bay and find a used Vance and Hines Fuel Pak for under $150.

My 09 Heritage had the dealer stage 1 download on it and the bike ran well but had decel pop and the fuel mileage sucked at around 36 mpg.

After I added the Fuel Pak, the oil temp dropped around 20 degrees, the decel pop was gone and on the last three road trips I got around 43 mpg.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Softail HA
Cruiser

If i lived in the US i would order a tuner in a second ,problem is anything I order now is probably three weeks out before I get delevery.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Isn't there an issue with a non-HD tune and the factory warranty?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Softail HA
If i lived in the US i would order a tuner in a second ,problem is anything I order now is probably three weeks out before I get delevery.
You can run it for awhile until you get your Fuel Moto tuner. You just have to remember NOT to get on the throttle heavily and watch/feel for high engine temps.
Or just put back on the stock air cleaner until you have the tuner, that way the air cleaner will restrict the air flow and "fatten up" the fuel mixture.

I would go with the "Fuel Moto" Micro tuner, unless you are going to do more mods than just the stage 1. Call or Email Jamie at Fuel Moto and he can tell you what you would need for your bike to run perfectly.
My

Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 PM
steamybob
Tourer

Forget the H-D canned tune. The way I had it described was like tuning in to a radio station - with the canned tune you'll be able to hear the music playing, but you won't get it in absolutely perfect spot-on stereo.

My Indy did mine with the Direct Link Flash-Tuner - stunning results - runs like a sewing machine and goes like **** off a shovel!

At the time my bike was less than a year old, but I wasn't over bothered about the warranty - my Indy is ex-H-D trained and has forgotten more than the stealership will ever learn!

Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Personally, I'd wait. I'm not in that big of a hurry, since it's a couple of days. If it was a week, that's different.

Quick Reply: Stage1 and Damage.