Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please!!! 1997 Heritage problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Please!!! 1997 Heritage problems

I dont generally visit the Softail side as i have a Ultra, but need help for my daughter.
So heres the story......
My 25 yr old daughter upgrade from her sportster to a 1997 Heritage with 10,000 miles on it. This is at Rt 3A Motorsports in Chelmsford Massachusetts. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!
She bought it, picked it up and one hour later, on her way home, it crapped out on her on the highway. Once it stopped running it would not even turn over. They came and picked up.
When she went to get it several days later she was told they charged the battery, replaced the altinator and wires, i asume plug wires. One hour later on her way home, crapped out again. They came and picked it up. Its still at the store, they cant figure out whats wrong with it. Basically calling her incomitant and me a lier! As you might think, im fuming.
I dont think she will get her money back.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be killing this bike when it gets good and hot?
Im thinking, based on the act that the manager hung up on me today, that im just going to pick it up and try to deal with it. Looking fr tips from Softail guys. Thanks and Stay away from Rt 3 Motorsports!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would shame them into doing the right thing. If they decide to screw you over. I find emailing the General Manager and or owner of the Dealership you can usually get this stuff taken care of. Neither the Owner or the GM want the bad publicity.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the evo section and read the sticky for dr Hess diagnosing charging system. I have a 96 heritage and had a similar issue. Did the test and it turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. If they have it on a charger it'll be fine till you get down the road and the battery is no longer charging. Do the test and find out if its the battery, stator, or voltage regulator. My money is on one of those or a combination of them. Easy diagnosing once you read the sticky and pretty simple repairs.