Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Seen A Late Model Softail Frame Raked

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 472 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Has Anyone Seen A Late Model Softail Frame Raked

I have seen a lot of information out there for the bagger crowd, but a bagger frame is pretty easy to work with, its mostly box tubing and sheet metal in the neck area. Our frames are have the cast piece in the neck area. Just wanted to know if anyone has raked their frame or ran across any info out there. Google searches come up pretty empty, but I'm a little lacking in my computer skills. I'm well aware of raked trees and cups, it just has me scratching my head from a frabricating point of view.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Depending on what you want to end up with, it might be easier to start with a raked frame from a Rocker or Breakout.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any frame can be raked. all Harleys have cast necks for the bearings/locks etc. they are welded to a square tubing backbone and the downtubes. The biggest thing is if you do it is to get it square. When you rake the neck you will need raked trees too to get the trail right

Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
When you rake the neck you will need raked trees too to get the trail right
Probably not.
The Rocker and the Breakout have all their rake in the neck, and none in the trees. With the 21" front wheel, the Breakout has even more trail than the Rocker (which has a 19" front wheel).

When you go really radical on the rake, some of the rake in the trees can help prevent "wheel flop" when turning at low speeds. But if you're strong enough to resist the front end's tendency to go all the way to the stops at low speed, you don't really need the tree rake. More trail isn't really a problem once you're moving along. My li'l wife rides 35 degrees rake (none in the trees) with no problem.

Oh, another stock frame with a little more rake is the Wide Glide. It's true that any frame can be raked, but when I took a hard look at what it would take to rake a recent stock Harley frame, I started thinking it would be easier to go with a different frame, even aftermarket.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-29-2013 at 05:46 AM.