Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coated head pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ceramic coated head pipes.

Right up until I put these 39" cholo's on my bike I followed all of the threads that had anything to do with them. The one that stood out the most had to do with the heat off of the left side pipe, the one right under your left thigh. I thought I would be pro-active on that issue so I had my 3 head pipes ceramic coated in the silver finish before I installed them. I then did a post of all the mods I had done but when it came to the heat off of the pipes I had nothing to compare it too. Now I can better comment and add to that. I pulled over on the side of the road yesterday to get something out of my pocket. I was standing and holding my bike up with my legs as I stood there. I then noticed my left leg was right up against that left side pipe and although I had jeans on it wasn't burning my leg. I could feel the heat on my leg through my jeans but it wasn't burning me. I stood there as long as I could before I had to move my leg and I stood there a good 3 or 4 minutes before it started getting uncomfortable and that was midday when it was 90 degrees out. I NEVER have a heat issue with these pipes and that has to be due to the ceramic coating. I can touch my heat shields with my bare hand just minutes after I shut the bike down too. I also love how the exposed areas of my pipes are like I just put them on too, no blueing, none whatsoever. I notice that the shorter a person is the more the heat issue becomes. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I also didn't want to use any kind of flap or "crotch cooler" either and with most I couldn't anyway because of the oil pressure gauge I am using. The cost was 125.00 and it looks like it has been very well worth it. I would definitely recommend ceramic coating to anyone who is having a heat issue or who hates that "blueing" crap.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 08-25-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My Rush pipes are coated inside and out plus my heat shields are black ceramic coated. They run pretty cool . I have noticed on some long rides on a hot day that my boot heel was riding on my right side pipe but never had a melted heel or sole.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM
dylan199
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have ceramic coating and can rest my leg against the pipe without any burning.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan199
I don't have ceramic coating and can rest my leg against the pipe without any burning.
Me too.

I think the heat issue is overblown with these pipes. I could see minor heat problems if someone has a shorter inseam or if you ride with shorts on and your leg is against the pipe all of the time but for the average person I think it is a non issue. YMMV.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 601 Posts

I would have to agree with Tony that the ceramic coating makes a significant reduction in heat over the stock pipes. I've got a Drago pipe built by Rush, and the ceramic coating is top quality.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the last thing you want to do is burn your vag on the cholos...way overblown in previous threads.

That being said ceramic coating is some amazing ****, if you want to spend the money why not.

Thanks for the update Tony

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm happy I did it if for no other reason than there is no blueing going on to the exposed areas of the head pipes. I know those areas are very small and barely noticable but what does turn blue and shows sticks out like a sore thumb and I hate that.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Did you coat inside and out or just inside the head pipes? Also was the $125.00 for all three pipes I'm assuming? I've been toying with the idea of doing this myself.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

The outside of the pipes have been ceramic coated and it was 125.00 for all 3 head pipes. I had them done in the silver/like chrome finish. I can tell the difference in heat off of the pipe compared to my last pipe but I really like how I don't have that blueing on the exposed parts of the head pipes. They still look like I just put them on. If I ever had another bike, like that 70 Electra Glide, and I just ran straight drag pipes I would have them ceramic coated, the entire pipe.