Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues with 12 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default Electrical issues with 12 Heritage

Almost 2 years old with just over 20,000 miles I have barely had a month without some kind of electrical problems. Here are some of them, replaced voltage reg week 1, back lights of speedo turning on and off, signals coming on by themselves, signals not turning off, kill switch not killing engine, brake switch stuck leaving brake lights on, replaced speedo tacho with the new fancy gazillion light combination one under warranty but same problem with back light not lighting, using pass light can turn off backlight on speedo, 6th gear light turns itself on and off when in 6th gear, one signal not working but nothing wrong with the bulbs, and today no signals for about 5 mins.

All these things have been intermittent but always preceded by the red light flashing on and off on the speedo. Soon as I see that I know something's about to go wrong. It's been into 2 dealerships, one of them at least 10 times because they can never duplicate the problem when it's there. One dimwit technician told me to film it happening - sure I'll ride it at night holding my phone just to show them all the lights go out!!

Today, after having no signals for a few minutes and going for a nice ride I went into the dealership and talked to a new service dude. He suggested looking to see if the bike threw any codes. Whoo hoo it did, 2 problems with the BCM the right signal and the speedo/tacho.

So now it's booked in for next week and hopefully I can finally get this figured out. The bike has never left me stranded but it's a little scary riding at night with the backlights turning on and off, or finding you have no signals or non stop signals. Fingers crossed it will make the run to Leesburg on Friday and back without issues.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Unplug your rear fender tip light and ride it, problem may not occur. Heritages have had issues with both fender tip lights, usually the rear one. Are battery cables clean and tight? Do you have any aftermarket items installed? Have you had handlebars replaced or any of the bar controls or throttle lock or grips?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by checkers
Unplug your rear fender tip light and ride it, problem may not occur. Heritages have had issues with both fender tip lights, usually the rear one. Are battery cables clean and tight? Do you have any aftermarket items installed? Have you had handlebars replaced or any of the bar controls or throttle lock or grips?

Some aftermarket, rear turn signal module, grips which HD put on (different dealer now closed down), mufflers and Stage 1 by same dealer, chrome caps. Bear in mind some of this stuff occurred the first week I had it before the first service when I had stuff done. This dealership have been good about trying to find the issues but this is the first time any codes have been thrown.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:46 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Some aftermarket, rear turn signal module, grips which HD put on (different dealer now closed down), mufflers and Stage 1 by same dealer, chrome caps. Bear in mind some of this stuff occurred the first week I had it before the first service when I had stuff done. This dealership have been good about trying to find the issues but this is the first time any codes have been thrown.
Is the rear signal module a factory part or aftermarket?, that is where I would start. Hand controls were removed to do the grips, possibly an pinched wire. Again a loose battery cable or fender tip light is suspect.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the BCM they did have some issues with them in 2012. Just a thought..............also why was the VR changed? was it over or under charging? Could be the new VR as I take it that it didn't happen till that was changed

Last edited by Blk and Chrome; 04-24-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I doubt it's the battery terminals, it's a fairly new battery and all this happened since forever. The VR was a recall on a lot of 12 motorcycles, my electrics were causing problems since the first week I had the bike, then the recall began (but I was already having electrical issues) that week and I got it changed under warranty in my second week.
All parts are HD mods and done by 2 dealerships.
I'm going to ask them to check fender tip, wires under grips, battery connections and obviously the BCM since the codes were BCM codes. My warranty expires in July and I'd really like this all sorted out.
The main problem is that all these things are intermittent and always something different.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:33 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope they figure this out for you because my wifes 12 Heritage is having similar problems. Her VR went out about 6 months after she got it, and it was replaced under the recall. Til recently, it's been good, but now intermittent signal lights going out, speedo light going out, aux lights out but hi-beam works, and it always starts with the red light on the speedo.

I've replaced the front right turn signal bulb twice in two weeks now, it just keeps going out. The turn signal will work but not the running light.