Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front shocks.....rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Freightran
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front shocks.....rattling?

Ok, just this spring I notice an occasional "rattle" noise. Just a simple clank or such randomly while going down the road. Never could determine its location. Had bike on jack and went over everything and could not find anything loose.

This morning, it suddenly goes into a constant, rythmic rattle while moving. Just constant drumming noise you can feel in the handlebars. You can't make it do it by just bouncing the front end sitting still.

Will be tearing into it this weekend, but curious as to if it sounds like the front shocks are low on oil? or just shot? Bike is '07 FXSTC, has 18K miles.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Might want to look at the brake pad assembly. Mine was making a clank that I couldn't pin point when the front brake was applied, but only at certain speeds. It was strange. Repaired under warranty.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Freightran
Advanced

Rode the front brake to see if that was it. Still rattled. Went over everything last week when I first noticed the noise. Thought maybe it was brake pads.

Strange enough, seems just this year I noticed a pulsing in the front brakes. Don't recall that last year. I mic'd the rotor and it seems pretty flat overall, don't notice any wobble while on the road. Just a pulsing in the hand while applying. Gives the bike a pulsing stop if you use it more then the rear brake.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Sounds like warped rotor. When you say "mic'd" rotor, was that for thickness or run out, side to side. Run out spec is very little, cant remember the number. Also, lift front of bike up and spin wheel. It should spin 1+ turns otherwise your calipers need either cleaning, clean pistons and brake pad rod, or rebuild. Pistons not releasing pads and causing pads to drag on rotors is what can cause warped rotor.

Last edited by KumaRide; 06-06-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Freightran
Advanced
Default found it

Well I got home and put it on the jack. Spun the front wheel and found the problem. Left side wheel bearing is toast. That is the side of the rotor and I think it might have been walking just enough to give the pulsing effect. Pulled it apart and getting new bearings and a tire since it is close to needing one anyhow.

Never would have guessed it was a bearing making all that racket.