Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Heritage windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts
Default Need help with Heritage windshield

I just bought a replacement shield from our sponser LRS. I un-did all the bolts on the stock windshield, I got the fork mounting brackets off just fine. Here my question - the metal bracket to the lexan, it looks like its glued or taped on and theres no way this is coming off.

* Any ideas?
* ANyone know where I can find the replacement metal for the shield only and ill use the existing brackets

THANKS!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 AM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a question for LRS. I will be interested in the answer as in time I will replace my shield with one of their tinted recurves. I used their shield on my Electra that I had and was very pleased with it.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a LRS on my Limited as well. Love it. I was thinking about getting one for my Heritage too. I will be interested in how this works out.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I used a hot air gun and heated up the bracket and "pealed" it off gently.

I image you could do the same thing with a hairdryer, but it might take tad longer to soften the adhesive.

I then, using "goo-gone" and some light heat, removed the remaining adhesive from the old shield.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
I just bought a replacement shield from our sponser LRS. I un-did all the bolts on the stock windshield, I got the fork mounting brackets off just fine. Here my question - the metal bracket to the lexan, it looks like its glued or taped on and theres no way this is coming off.

* Any ideas?
* ANyone know where I can find the replacement metal for the shield only and ill use the existing brackets

THANKS!
Those adhesive strips act as a sort of gasket.
When I replaced my H-D quick-detach screen with an LRS replacement, they were attached (like single-faced tape) to the metal brackets but not to the screen - although they may feel like they're "stuck" from having been mashed in place for so long.
They should just peel right off without too much trouble...

Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM
fred08hd
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jam436 is correct. I also faced that problem. I took a putty knife and carefully striped that gasket off (most of it peeled off as stated by Jam). I actually reuse it on new windshield since most of it peeled off.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

This stuff is actually a double sided tape. I suspect it is just to keep things from rattling. I do know that if it's been on there a few years, it's a bear to get the residue off. I've used heat, solvents, you name it. It just takes a lot of time and effort.

I replaced my stock glass with a Memphis Shades replacement glass after 4 OEM shields in a row cracked at the lower left mounting screw hole. I omitted the adhesive tape with the MS windshield and have had no issues at all.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts
Default Thanks for the help guys

I bought a flexible spackle knife with a 1inch thick blade at the other HD (Home Depot). I started at the downward iron where it "lips" over the horizonatal iron as I was able to use the lip for a little starter leverage. Just a little bit of muscle and it came off. Surprisingly, the 2 sided tape was still tacky. My 2 words of advice.. You have 2 different size screws and do not torque down the irons until you test fit. I had to give it up last night..

Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
You have 2 different size screws and do not torque down the irons until you test fit.
You are correct, install all the screws but don't tighten any down until you've install the windshield. Then once the shield is on, tighten down all the screws you can access. Then remove the shield and tighten the rest downs.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:20 AM
GadgetBandit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a recurve replacement and was concerned, because it didn't come with new adhesive tape. Admitted, I'm replacing a 10 year old windshield. I took a chisel and slowly, carefully lifted the end of the bracket. The adhsive had aged and came cleanly came off with the bracket.

Quick Reply: Need help with Heritage windshield