Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Montgomery area

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:22 PM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Montgomery area

Who's in the montgomery area? We moved here last june and are finally settled in, etc. Found a few people to ride with, but have been out with hand surgery. Almost healed and looking to get out to explore soon. Always looking to make new friends with like interests.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:37 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey there! I live about little over a hr from you! Down in Slocomb, Al! I have a brother in law that lives near Exit 6 like near the Eastdale mall.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 AM
soulpatch
Tourer

Funny, because I thought moving here and being warm weather year around I'd run into more riders. So far that has not been the case.
Sorry it took so long to actually reply, but honestly I kinda gave up on meeting anybody around this area to actually ride with. Everybody seems to be in their little groups and are not apparently welcoming to outsiders (let alone a yankee lol)

Old 09-06-2018, 11:20 AM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

I know what you mean by the little cliques. I work with a guy that rides with about 10 people and he hasn't ask one time if I wanted to ride with the group. Which he might have ask the other guys if they had a problem with me joining a ride with them. Never persued it. I'm a member of the HOG group out of Dothan, really don't like riding with them because I've talked to a couple and they are not really the group I want to ride with. Majority of them are nice people but there's a few upper echelon people in the group that just doesn't talk to you. If I was a little closer to ya I'd be game to riding with you!

Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 PM
soulpatch
Tourer

I've run into that as well. A group of us put together a ride in michigan and one of the guys brought along a "friend" from his work. He actually made an off handed comment about not riding with me with me because my bike wasn't polished and his was. As in mine had dust on it and the chrome wasn't gleaming (not covered in mud or something). Looked him straight in the face and said I have a rider, not a shiner. Work 40+ hours a week running a shop and have a little boy to spend time with. So the bike's "shining" is last on my list. In the end he apparently took offense and talked enough of them into riding without me after that. So didn't get invited much after that. Could care less though, people like that aren't worth it. But appreciate the offer to ride. Kinda sucks that I see so many bikes around here, but it's funny how little any of them will talk to a "newbie". The only time i've gotten talked to was a charity ride at the local HD. Was wearing my vest and it had all of my veteran patches, etc on it. The local clubs didn't talk to me at all, even the veteran clubs which I thought was pretty odd. At the least there's usually a little brotherhood there.
But ya, so in the meantime I just learn the countryside riding by myself lol Kinda sucks though, really miss my chapter back in michigan. Was just a riding club (not a 1%), the closest chapters down here are hours away. But we used to do quite a few charity rides, had bbq's, etc.

Last edited by soulpatch; 09-06-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Default Montgomery Area

Originally Posted by soulpatch
I've run into that as well. A group of us put together a ride in michigan and one of the guys brought along a "friend" from his work. He actually made an off handed comment about not riding with me with me because my bike wasn't polished and his was. As in mine had dust on it and the chrome wasn't gleaming (not covered in mud or something). Looked him straight in the face and said I have a rider, not a shiner. Work 40+ hours a week running a shop and have a little boy to spend time with. So the bike's "shining" is last on my list. In the end he apparently took offense and talked enough of them into riding without me after that. So didn't get invited much after that. Could care less though, people like that aren't worth it. But appreciate the offer to ride. Kinda sucks that I see so many bikes around here, but it's funny how little any of them will talk to a "newbie". The only time i've gotten talked to was a charity ride at the local HD. Was wearing my vest and it had all of my veteran patches, etc on it. The local clubs didn't talk to me at all, even the veteran clubs which I thought was pretty odd. At the least there's usually a little brotherhood there.
But ya, so in the meantime I just learn the countryside riding by myself lol Kinda sucks though, really miss my chapter back in michigan. Was just a riding club (not a 1%), the closest chapters down here are hours away. But we used to do quite a few charity rides, had bbq's, etc.
Well, I've never been part of a club! I'm retired Army, I've always wanted to get a vest and put my patches on, but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I normally ride to work it's about a 30 min ride mainly backroad then a state hwy, pretty good ride. Haven't rode in about 3 weeks because of the rain and I was putting new bars, new air cleaner and new clutch cable. Just taking me time not rushing. I work 11am-7pm, so I did some work on it a couple of hrs before work and did some work on weekend, but it was when I get up early and wife was still sleeping. She is a school teacher so she's up early everyday except the weekend. Well maybe one day our paths will cross, My name is Malcolm and I live in Slocomb.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:51 PM
soulpatch
Tourer

lol hear ya. Navy here, not retired, TBI during desert storm. One of those things. Recovering from yet another (and final) hand surgery so haven't ridden much lately either. Freedom cruisers, chapter 21 out of Dundee michigan. We have a chapter in birmingham and one to the south about 2 hours from here. So neither are very good for me. Did quite a bit on mine as well including a set of mini-apes. Definitely help with the hands/wrists. Wife is up early, I take the son to school/pickup since I'm home recovering. Lost the job I had due to the VA, so don't have anywhere to be at the moment anyway lol We moved down here due to the wife's career. They opened a new division and it was a hefty promotion/raise...so put in my resignation and moved. Little did I know where we were moving to. But just trying to make the most of it for now and figure it out down the road. Well, if you ever come up this way for a ride, definitely send me a pm and we'll meat up somewhere. Jason

Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Default Montgomery Area

i hope your recovery goes well! I will definitely contact you whenever I come up that way, good talking to you

Old 09-07-2018, 02:17 AM
soulpatch
Tourer

So far so good. VA messed me up with the first surgery and had to get a civilian surgeon to correct it since the VA refused to believe anything was wrong. Almost lost two fingers because of those idiots. Where we came from my VA has the best docs in the country given the UofM medical school is right there. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that down here...well, let's just say that EVERYBODY who i've talked to has apologized for what they did to me. Apparently their reputation is pretty well known down here. Wish I would have known that before letting them cut me. But at least it's been corrected and I'm still intact.
I'd head there, but unfortunately we have a little boy and that makes time scarce sometimes. But ya, definitely, if you get the chance to come up here contact me. Still learning the countryside, but for the most part there are plenty of places to head to. Hell, we could always meet in the middle as well. If you are familiar with the area, half an hour's ride isn't that far. used to ride further than that to get to my chapter in dundee. So once I'm healed, maybe we'll have to plan something on a weekend.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 AM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

I hate to say this but I am glad I never used the VA for anything! Also when I first retired I had to go to the what I call the Lyster clinic here at Ft Rucker and see the quacks here. After I married My 2nd wife in 09 and she became a teacher that's when I found out if I got on her insurance plus my Tricare that I could see a civilian dr for all my medical needs. So that's what I did. Whatever blue cross/blue shield doesn't pick up Tricare gets it. I've already had 2 elbow surgery, a hernia repair which was above the sack area which was a lot better and I see a civilian dr and still get free meds from the pharmacy on post. Off subject you said you were a part of a MC and there's a chapter 2hrs from where you live at now, what city are they located? Because I live in Slocomb which is about 1hr 15-30 min's South of Montgomery

Quick Reply: Montgomery area