Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

San Juan Mountains in New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:21 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts
Talking San Juan Mountains in New Mexico

Here's an interactive map of my trip. You can zoom in, change to map view or use any other Google Map features:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=F&showAll=yes

I live in Durango Colorado among the San Juan Mountains. The San Juan Mountains also extend into New Mexico although they are not as tall there. I decided to take my Electra Glide into these parts of New Mexico.

I left Durango and headed east to Pagosa Springs. Then I turned south on highway 84. After crossing into New Mexico I took this picture to the left (north). This mountain is in Colorado although I am just into New Mexico.

Much of the terrain was arid.

I stopped at Echo in Amphitheatre Carson national forest

I was not going through any towns of any size. I wasn't seeing any good restaurants to sit down and eat. I decided to head to Santa Fe, New Mexico for lunch. They surely have good restaurants there. On my way I went through Espanola, New Mexico. I saw the Blue Heron Brew Pub and decided to stop there for lunch.

It was simple but had good food and good beer.
Then I headed north on highway 285

Just after crossing the border into Colorado I turned left (west) onto highway 17. As this climbed up to the continental divide it became less arid.

I followed the Conejos River.

Before reaching the continental divide I climbed above the Conejos River and the highway turned south while the river came down out of the north.

Highway 17 crossed back into New Mexico. This day trip has kept me on the road for 10.5 hours and 468 Miles. I love riding my cycle but this is getting to be a very long day. I'm taking less stops for photo shoots.

I ride back into Durango as it's getting dark.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,981 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Beautiful pics ! Took that trip last year. From Santa Fe up thru Durango, Ouray, Gateway and more.. Great trip, plan to go again this year.

The following users liked this post:
Durango Dave (02-17-2017)