Arizona Riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Arizona Riding

Hey guys,

My wife and I are planning our summer ride, Right now the plan is to ride over from Texas through southern New Mexico, coming into Arizona from Quemado, NM on highway 60. My thought was to ride up through Show Low, Payson, Winslow and Flagstaff. I have never been to the Grand Canyon or up through Monument Valley so I would like to include those sights maybe ending up in Monticello, UT before heading down to the Grants Fire & Ice Rally.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Pat

Old 05-19-2005, 11:14 AM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Arizona Riding

Hi Patrick,

While you are in Arizona, see if you can make time for Sedona, Jerome, Prescott and a great leg of old Highway 66 between Ashfork and Kingman. The riding in this part of Arizona is fantastic. You'll love visitng "Preskitt". If you make it this far , be sure to let us know you are coming, and we'll hook up with you if possible.

[IMG]local://upfiles/718/17987BFC118E4AE4912B9ED8EF22E6AD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2005, 12:44 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Dick,

I think we've nixed the Grand Canyon diversion and will be spending a couple of days around Show Low. Is there a route you would suggest from Payson over to Jerome?

Thanks,

Pat

Old 05-19-2005, 12:52 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Sedona to Flagstaff via Oak Creek Canyon is a great ride. Prescott to Sedona, with a stop in Jerome, is a great ride.
There is a stretch between Morinci and Alpine, AZ called the Coronado Trail that is awesome. Payson to Camp Verde is good. Showlow to Globe via Salt River Canyon is great.

For Payson to Jerome, I would go from Payson to Camp Verde to Prescott, and then to Jerome, Sedona, and Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. If you can't fit in the trip to Prescott, you can go from Payson to Camp Verde to Jerome.

I love riding in Arizona, and all of these routes are great.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Regards,

Bill

You know the more you southwest guys talk about the riding down there the more I want to come out that way. My husband has been talking for years about moving to Arizona. He would go in a heartbeat. I’ve been holding him back because I’ve lived in the Midwest all my life. Maybe I’ll have to come and check out Arizona. It just sounds beautiful!

Old 05-19-2005, 02:08 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Better yet , move to Texas (just kiddin' you AZ guys). Golldang, we even got cable teevee down here so you won't miss any of American Idol. Some towns even have a picture show.

Actually, there is a lot to be said for the sun belt states. Mainly, like not having to put the bike away for winter.

My wife and I are really looking forward to our summer trip. I've never been through Arizona so it will be a new adventure.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:34 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I've never lived there, AZ may be my favorite state. It has everything. My sinuses love the dry desert, but there are forests and mountains also. Also, if I remember correctly, AZ usually has the 2nd or 3rd highest number of boat registrations in the US. Art

Old 05-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Heatherc

Regards,

Bill

You know the more you southwest guys talk about the riding down there the more I want to come out that way. My husband has been talking for years about moving to Arizona. He would go in a heartbeat. I’ve been holding him back because I’ve lived in the Midwest all my life. Maybe I’ll have to come and check out Arizona. It just sounds beautiful!
Be careful, Heather, I have lived in the midwest, Woodstock, IL to be exact. If you check out Arizona you won't go back.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:41 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tripper

ORIGINAL: Heatherc

Regards,

Bill

Be careful, Heather, I have lived in the midwest, Woodstock, IL to be exact. If you check out Arizona you won't go back.
It's even worse if you come to Texas.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Texas is okay, I'll admit, BUT it can't hold a candle to Arizona. Heather, go to www.cyclerides.com for a preview of riding in our Great State. There you may subscribe to a newsletter that will keep you ab...Um uptodate of the local happenings in and around Phoenix.

Quick Reply: Arizona Riding