Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883L Mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 12:15 PM
brassailor
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 883L Mod questions

I've been reading lots of posts on the mods I want to do and am getting lost on so much information, hoping someone can shed some light on a few questions.

Handlebar

Riding my 883 Low the stock handlebar seems to put my hands on an odd angle, I feel like twisting it up and wide a few inches, what sort of handlebar would achieve this?

Suspension
Coming back from Biarritz to London I started dreading potholes, I do one long solo run of more than 1k miles per year, the hog rides and shorter less than 200 miles 2 up something easy to adjust for 2 up would be a plus.

For the front, am curious about this

Front break
What has proven to work here? Am open to change the caliper and pads.

-------- List of ideas
- Will update the list as I go along

Front suspension

Ricor 39mm Intiminators (anyone know where to order in the UK?)

Front break
£31 Lyndall Racing Brakes Z-Pads

Old 09-27-2014, 12:23 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Actually, I had a 2nd bike one time and it was an 883 L. We put mini apes on it and that took care of the reach thing. The rear shocks did good when only one person was riding it but I am much bigger than the person that used to ride it so I simply adjusted the rear shock to a stiffer setting and I didn't bottom out at all.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:30 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,215 Likes on 11,120 Posts

I put angled risers on mine to get the stock handlebars comfortable.
I'm guessing an 883 Low already has suspension with limited travel. You aren't going to smooth out the potholes until you raise the bike to get more suspension travel.
Part of safe riding is "surface appraisal", see and avoid road hazards if you can.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Z-bars or mini apes.

Touring shocks off a bagger are cheap and easy to find. not to mention adjustable.

order yourself HD part #42943-08 its a dual piston caliper from a xr1200, already loaded with pads. youll need more brake fluid and to bleed the line after install but it bolts right up. ONLY issue you may have is if you run spoked wheels. it MAY NOT fit!!! The 19" and 21" spokes reportedly wont clear the caliper.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:27 PM
brassailor
Novice

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
Actually, I had a 2nd bike one time and it was an 883 L. We put mini apes on it and that took care of the reach thing. The rear shocks did good when only one person was riding it but I am much bigger than the person that used to ride it so I simply adjusted the rear shock to a stiffer setting and I didn't bottom out at all.

Looking at Biltwell Frisco and Licks 10" Aped Z Bars, something like that? What about pull back?

Bike at the workshop as we speak, I've played with the adjustments and think longer shocks might be worth a try

Old 09-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Johhny51273
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brassailor
I've been reading lots of posts on the mods I want to do and am getting lost on so much information, hoping someone can shed some light on a few questions. Handlebar Riding my 883 Low the stock handlebar seems to put my hands on an odd angle, I feel like twisting it up and wide a few inches, what sort of handlebar would achieve this? Suspension Coming back from Biarritz to London I started dreading potholes, I do one long solo run of more than 1k miles per year, the hog rides and shorter less than 200 miles 2 up something easy to adjust for 2 up would be a plus. For the front, am curious about this Front break What has proven to work here? Am open to change the caliper and pads. -------- List of ideas - Will update the list as I go along Front suspension Ricor 39mm Intiminators (anyone know where to order in the UK?) Front break £31 Lyndall Racing Brakes Z-Pads
In regards to your handlebars, have you tried simply loosening the top clamp and adjusting the bars forward? I have a 1200 Custom and needed to take some of the "slack" out of the riding position of my reach. I rolled the bars forward and the bike rides more comfortably for me. Still want to swap out for some 12" or 14" Nice Curves but the adjustment is working for now.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:42 AM
brassailor
Novice

Originally Posted by Johhny51273
In regards to your handlebars, have you tried simply loosening the top clamp and adjusting the bars forward? I have a 1200 Custom and needed to take some of the "slack" out of the riding position of my reach. I rolled the bars forward and the bike rides more comfortably for me. Still want to swap out for some 12" or 14" Nice Curves but the adjustment is working for now.
Hi mate, i did move the bars up to what i thought was comfortable, rode for years on it always wondering...it's time

Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 AM
brassailor
Novice

Originally Posted by gar187er
Z-bars or mini apes.

Touring shocks off a bagger are cheap and easy to find. not to mention adjustable.

order yourself HD part #42943-08 its a dual piston caliper from a xr1200, already loaded with pads. youll need more brake fluid and to bleed the line after install but it bolts right up. ONLY issue you may have is if you run spoked wheels. it MAY NOT fit!!! The 19" and 21" spokes reportedly wont clear the caliper.
Thanks for that! Yes, 19" spoked. What now?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 AM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You arent totally out of options, just limited...and more expensive ones!

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/50...0269bucket.JPG

This link shows a VROD caliper on what looks to be a 19" spoked wheel. Its a more expensive swap as you need to do the rotor as well.

read on this thread for a complete walkthrough on the swap.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=274658

Old 10-08-2014, 02:24 PM
brassailor
Novice

Originally Posted by gar187er
read on this thread for a complete walkthrough on the swap.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=274658
cheers, this was really helpful

Quick Reply: 883L Mod questions