Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster's built-in helmet lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportster's built-in helmet lock

I may be preaching to the choir on this, but a Sportster already has a built-in helmet lock of sorts.

All anyone has to do is to lock your helmet to the fork-frame lock. Just put your padlock through the D-rings on your helmet first, then through the frame and fork lock holes and lock it all together, and walla, instant helmet lock.

Sure, someone could cut the strap and steal the helmet, but it would ruin the helmet and then do them no good, and this is basically how helmet locks work anyway, locking them through the D-rings; at least the ones I've seen. It's not that easy to get to the D-ring side of the strap and cut it anyway when it's locked like this as well.

I lock my helmet like this all the time, and have never had a problem.

The following users liked this post:
llkoolmay (07-13-2022)
Old 04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: Sportster's built-in helmet lock

Yep, but if you get a good rain storm the helmet is likely to fill with water. I've found it easier to hang it upright over the right mirror and run a small padlock through the D rings and around the mirror stem. Yes it can be cut or wrenched off if someone's that determined as almost any other method can be defeated, but I always have a dry helmet.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Zeb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Yep, but if you get a good rain storm the helmet is likely to fill with water. I've found it easier to hang it upright over the right mirror and run a small padlock through the D rings and around the mirror stem. Yes it can be cut or wrenched off if someone's that determined as almost any other method can be defeated, but I always have a dry helmet.
Not if you fasten it like this (see pics). I've never had a problem.

There might be a little dampness around the edges, but big deal. My helmet gets wetter than that from my own sweat when it gets hot.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Amy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put mine on the ground next to my bike. Not many people want a pink helmet and if they do,...well I am only out $20 for the cheap peice of crap.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Zeb

There might be a little dampness around the edges, but big deal. My helmet gets wetter than that from my own sweat when it gets hot.

Yep, but I prefer to keep the helmet away from the painted tins, (ref. your pic #1) and most of us don't have crash bars (ref. your pic. 3). Without the crash bars my helmet liner and face shield would wind up against the hot exhaust pipe. [:@]

Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Amy

I just put mine on the ground next to my bike. Not many people want a pink helmet and if they do,...well I am only out $20 for the cheap peice of crap.
Unless it's a swishy Dyna rider named Jim..

Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Zeb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Amy

I'm freekin' laughing so hard I can't breathe...hehe...

Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Zeb
Road Master

t are

Yep, but I prefer to keep the helmet away from the painted tins, (ref. your pic #1) and most of us don't have crash bars (ref. your pic. 3). Without the crash bars my helmet liner and face shield would wind up against the hot exhaust pipe. [:@]

Hmm, well my buddy locks his the same way with no problems, and he doesn't have a crash bar.

What kind of helmet are you talking about here? Maybe you should get you one of those "cheap pieces of crap" that Amy uses or something, and don't worry about it anymore.

I'm on about my 5th or 6th helmet, and I don't worry about it getting scratched or nothing, and I've never scratched my bike with it either.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
cHarley
Club Member

t are

Hmm, well my buddy locks his the same way with no problems, and he doesn't have a crash bar.

What kind of helmet are you talking about here? Maybe you should get you one of those "cheap pieces of crap" that Amy uses or something, and don't worry about it anymore.

I'm on about my 5th or 6th helmet, and I don't worry about it getting scratched or nothing, and I've never scratched my bike with it either.
I'm not worried about the helmet,that's why I hang it on the mirror. I'm worried about melting the helmet liner and plastic face shield on the chrome surface of a $600 set of pipes.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Zeb
Road Master

t are

I'm not worried about the helmet,that's why I hang it on the mirror. I'm worried about melting the helmet liner and plastic face shield on the chrome surface of a $600 set of pipes.

Mine's not anywhere near my pipes. What kind of helmet are you using? full coverage?

And a person can always use the holes in the earpieces as well to run the lock through, moving the helmet up that much farther from the dastardly pipes.

And if you fasten the straps together before you do it through the D-rings and shorten the straps as far as they go, this also will help raise the level of the helmet.

'Course if you want to use something else, that's fine too; it's a free country.

And I never said it was perfect, but just good enough for those "cheap pieces of crap" helmets like mine and people like myself who would rather use something like this for free, than to fork out any more money for some doohicky that I really don't need.

You see, what the problem is is that you're a custom rider; I'm just a lowclass XL rider and we do lowclass things like this all the time.

I also have an old red CZ motocross bikefuel line clamp on my Sporty because I was too cheap to buy a new chrome one, and it works just fine.

Whatever turns yer wheels.

Quick Reply: Sportster's built-in helmet lock