Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing a Sporty back to life

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 PM
markray125
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bringing a Sporty back to life

Here's the short story. I ride a Breakout and my wife wants to start riding again, been a couple of years since she sold her Sporty. My neighbor had a 2007 883 Sporty sitting behind his house, been there for about 2.5 years. He says it was running fine when he parked it and it hasn't been started since. Here's what I'be done:
Drained the tank, put in new fuel
New tires
New brake fluid
New pads
New air filter
New plugs
New battery
Serious cleaning job on the rest of the bike, what a mess. Here's the problem, I went to change the oil and filter and there was virtually no oil in the tank. I went ahead and filled the tank to the low level line and put a new filter on it but I'm concerned about cranking it up becasue after doing that I realized all the oil might have just drained back down. Should I drain my new oil out and try and start it with just the old oil or crank it up overfilled and leave the dipstick out so the excess can have a place to go.........I can clean up a mess. Thanks for any advice

Last edited by markray125; 04-11-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Yea you can turn it on without dipstick and turn it off again if things get ugly ...
I'd recommend a good injector cleaner in your first tankful of fuel.

The following users liked this post:
markray125 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by markray125
Here's the short story. I ride a Breakout and my wife wants to start riding again, been a couple of years since she sold her Sporty. My neighbor had a 2007 883 Sporty sitting behind his house, been there for about 2.5 years. He says it was running fine when he parked it and it hasn't been started since. Here's what I'be done:
Drained the tank, put in new fuel
New tires
New brake fluid
New pads
New air filter
New plugs
New battery
Serious cleaning job on the rest of the bike, what a mess. Here's the problem, I went to change the oil and filter and there was virtually no oil in the tank. I went ahead and filled the tank to the low level line and put a new filter on it but I'm concerned about cranking it up becasue after doing that I realized all the oil might have just drained back down. Should I drain my new oil out and try and start it with just the old oil or crank it up overfilled and leave the dipstick out so the excess can have a place to go.........I can clean up a mess. Thanks for any advice
Use a turkey baster to suck out the overfill.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:02 PM
markray125
Intermediate

I'm guessing I'll have to crank it up for a bit to get the old oil up out of the sump before I can pull some off............I do have a turkey baster on stand-by!!

Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I went ahead and filled the tank to the low level line and put a new filter on it but I'm concerned about cranking it up becasue after doing that I realized all the oil might have just drained back down. Should I drain my new oil out and try and start it with just the old oil or crank it up overfilled and leave the dipstick out so the excess can have a place to go.........I can clean up a mess. Thanks for any advice
Do a complete change on the oil before cranking. I would pull the plugs couple of shots or oil in the cylinders and turn over by hand, 2nd gear rear wheel up and turn the wheel. Be patient

Old 04-11-2016, 06:37 PM
markray125
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Do a complete change on the oil before cranking. I would pull the plugs couple of shots or oil in the cylinders and turn over by hand, 2nd gear rear wheel up and turn the wheel. Be patient
The problem is I attempted to change the oil and have most likely overfilled it due to the old oil leaking back into the sump. I did spray some fogging oil into the cylinders in antcipation of cranking it. I will turn it over by hand as that sounds like a good idea, I didn't know about putting it in second and rotating the wheel to do it...............thanks for the tip!!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:09 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should I drain my new oil out and try and start it with just the old oil or crank it up overfilled and leave the dipstick out so the excess can have a place to go.........I can clean up a mess. Thanks for any advice
I had a Nightster that was parked for nearly six years. We drained the fuel and replaced with fresh fuel and put in a new battery. Leaving the original oil in, we started the bike and ran it until the oil pressure light went off, to lubricate the cylinders. We then changed the engine and primary oil, pumped up the tires and washed the bike. Afterwards, I rode it to the dealership, about 120 miles away, and traded it in.

The last I saw of it was in the service department, where it had been detailed and gleamed like new.

RD

markray125 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 07:13 PM
markray125
Intermediate

Tried rotating the rear wheel by hand in second, that was fun. Ended up rotating it in fourth instead. Sprayed some more fogging oil in first. Still debating on whether to drain off some oil first before cranking it, though

Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 PM
dustydog2
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

crank it with the plugs,,out...

markray125 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:34 PM
markray125
Intermediate

So bottomline, what would you guys do about the overfilling of oil? Drain out what I put in or start it with the overfill and clean up the mess?

Quick Reply: Bringing a Sporty back to life