Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New headlight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New headlight.

So I decided to get a bottom mount headlight (link here) because I want to do something a little different and I've come to realize that I don't really like the look of the headlight eyebrows that come stock on most sportsters. I want to mount it at the top of the tripple trees to give it a similar look to the old springer style front ends. I'm thinking about just using a piece of flat bar metal and drilling a couple of holes to mount it at the same points where the eyebrow currently mounts. Also, if any of you have done mods like this on sportster models like mine where there is a bunch of pigtail connectors inside the headlight housing, what did you do with all of those wires? Conceal them under a tank lift or what?

Last edited by Shackleford; 06-20-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:57 PM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

My bike came with a bottom mount headlight, but I added a smaller second light above. Mounted where the eyebrow usually goes with this: https://www.deadbeatcustoms.com/drag...light-bracket/

There are other options/similar mounts with various configurations out there too. Just google Sportster Headlight Mounts etc.

I did have to dremel the mounting holes a bit to make it fit, but it was easy enough. As for the wires, I just crammed them (piggy backed off the main to add the second) in the main headlight housing. Took some squeezing and cussing, but it all fit.

The following users liked this post:
Shackleford (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
So I decided to get a bottom mount headlight (link here) because I want to do something a little different and I've come to realize that I don't really like the look of the headlight eyebrows that come stock on most sportsters. I want to mount it at the top of the tripple trees to give it a similar look to the old springer style front ends. I'm thinking about just using a piece of flat bar metal and drilling a couple of holes to mount it at the same points where the eyebrow currently mounts. Also, if any of you have done mods like this on sportster models like mine where there is a bunch of pigtail connectors inside the headlight housing, what did you do with all of those wires? Conceal them under a tank lift or what?
We have a couple of Modular Headlight Relo Kits that will work with your new headlight. They give you a lot of options of headlight placement.

You can see them HERE and HERE. They both allow for elimination of the headlight brow.

I run my wires straight back to inside the tank channel.

Here are a just a few of the different ways to mount the headlight.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Shackleford (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
We have a couple of Modular Headlight Relo Kits that will work with your new headlight. They give you a lot of options of headlight placement.

You can see them HERE and HERE. They both allow for elimination of the headlight brow.

I run my wires straight back to inside the tank channel.

Here are a just a few of the different ways to mount the headlight.

Thanks for the links. I'm not a huge fan of the side arms on that setup, but I do kind of like this one from the pictures in the link you provided:

I think it's about the right placement that I'm going for.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser

I really like this one a lot because of it's simplicity and I could mount it up top, or I could adjust the height later if I decide to. Anyone know where I could buy one of these or get one made somehow?

Last edited by Shackleford; 06-23-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Well, I ended up going with the DK Customs mount for now. Still need to clean up all the wiring but here's a few pictures.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Blacks
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you ridden it in the dark yet? If so what did you think? Seems crazy high to me.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM
obz
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Well, I ended up going with the DK Customs mount for now. Still need to clean up all the wiring but here's a few pictures.
Why not just buy a custom headlight and drill a hole through your bottom triple trees? That's what I did and it's REALLY clean.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blacks
Have you ridden it in the dark yet? If so what did you think? Seems crazy high to me.
Yeah, I did ride it in the dark once already. I'd say the difference is marginal. It seems like it maybe shines just a bit further but I think it may just be how I have it adjusted. The only real difference I've noticed so far is some slight buffeting from the difference in airflow. I like it being up high though, kind of makes it feel like a chopper or something

Old 07-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by obz
Why not just buy a custom headlight and drill a hole through your bottom triple trees? That's what I did and it's REALLY clean.

I considered doing that. I wanted it to be up high though, because I like the way it looks.