Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank liner 1982 Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,464 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Default Fuel Tank liner 1982 Roadster

I am going to look at this 1982 XLSA in the Orange and Black trim. The paint is all original, but it has not been run in about a year and the last time they told me it had rust and liner clogging it up, hence why it was parked. I have this picture of the inside, I know it sucks, but you get what you can from the current owner. I have researched how to clean it and reseal and all of that.
My question is should I reseal it? I know Harley did not start liners until the mid 90s (correct me if I am wrong) and I am not sure if this is liner or the natural color of the tank (again, crappy photo). Or, should I leave it natural without sealer after I clean it as we ride year round here in Florida and even though this will not be my daily I plan to ride it quite often.

Here is a picture of the bike. This is a project bike and not something that is perfect, but it is kind of nice.

Thanks and look forward to the replies.
Rene

Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 AM
ajay1976
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello
I have a coated tank on my 1200, from 1994-may be the first. i had an aftermarket that showed some rust after two years, and found that this is common in unlined tanks, due to ethanol effect. The rust was not severe and I continued to use it until I found the new tank, which holds an extra gallon. My understanding is that after some time the recoating tends to delaminate and big flakes will clog your fuel filter/screen. Opinion of my mechanic is to live with the rust if not too deep.
Arnie

Old 09-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 48 Posts

Years ago I had a Suzuki TS-185 that I had put in a shed for about 6 years due to a fried clutch (actually kind of forgot about it...). The tank was metal and had rusted inside much worse than what your photo "appears" to show. I removed the tank, put about 1 gallon of diesel fuel and a 250 pack of BB's in the tank. Put the gas cap on and my son and I took turns shaking it for about 30 minutes. Drained the tank (getting all the BB's out was the hard part...LOL) - unreal how much gunk came out as I recall, we didn't use a liner at all, put a 3003 NAPA Gold inline fuel filter on it, replaced the fried clutch, and it ran for the next 2 years without issue. I was surprised at how well the BB-diesel cleaning worked. The filter is a see-thru and we had very little rust sediment during the 2 years. I never replaced the filter, and the bike ran great. As always, YMMV, but this was a cheap, easy, and efficient fix.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I suggest you remove the tank and drain it, to see what comes out. Obviously once in your hands you will get a better idea of what it's condition is. In over 50 years I've never lined the inside of a tank!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I suggest you remove the tank and drain it, to see what comes out. Obviously once in your hands you will get a better idea of what it's condition is. In over 50 years I've never lined the inside of a tank!
And see that is what I have been seeing from some people. Some say if it is leaking to line it to stop the leak. I am thinking of cleaning it out and not lining it at first and seeing how it goes and if I need to do a lining later on. I do need to get the rust out, but that is kind of easy with some products I have found for cleaning it out.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

and the project begins......keeps us updated, wanna see the results of what you do

Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zateeva
and the project begins......keeps us updated, wanna see the results of what you do
It has not started yet. I am seeing it tomorrow. The down side I found out they drained the oil out of it because the drain screw was leaking. I went ahead and bought a new o-ring and fresh oil so I can atleast turn it over and make sure it is not frozen. I am hoping it is a good motor. The guy did rebuild the transmission because 2nd gear was toast, but then it sat.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
It has not started yet. I am seeing it tomorrow. The down side I found out they drained the oil out of it because the drain screw was leaking. I went ahead and bought a new o-ring and fresh oil so I can atleast turn it over and make sure it is not frozen. I am hoping it is a good motor. The guy did rebuild the transmission because 2nd gear was toast, but then it sat.
u bought something for it already...................The project begins.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 PM
normannewguy
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Try the BB trick but since I am lazy, fill with BB and diesel but take a couple of bungee cords and hang from garage rafter. Pull down and let it bounce up and down let bungee do the work. Drain and refill and do it twice. Oh let it bounce up and down for at least 30 mins a time. Big thing to avoid is ethanol gas. Ethanol separates after 90 days of sitting from gas. When it does it floats to the top where it grabs water and falls to bottom of the tank and rots everything. Try searching for ethanol free gas stations especially if you are going to let it sit for longer than 2 months.

The following users liked this post:
Nailz (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 PM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by normannewguy
Try the BB trick but since I am lazy, fill with BB and diesel but take a couple of bungee cords and hang from garage rafter. Pull down and let it bounce up and down let bungee do the work. Drain and refill and do it twice. Oh let it bounce up and down for at least 30 mins a time. Big thing to avoid is ethanol gas. Ethanol separates after 90 days of sitting from gas. When it does it floats to the top where it grabs water and falls to bottom of the tank and rots everything. Try searching for ethanol free gas stations especially if you are going to let it sit for longer than 2 months.

Hey normannewguy, Where the hell were you about 12 years ago.... I had bungees in my garage, we bounced that tank like a cryin' baby!!! . Great idea!

The following users liked this post:
normannewguy (09-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank liner 1982 Roadster