Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 1200 vs 48 Special

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Highlander101
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sportster 1200 vs 48 Special

Hi folks, I'm currently going through a learning course then my test soon. The place im doing the course teaches on Kawasaki ER6N's, its a nice enough bike but to be honest its not really the style I'm looking for, always loved the classic style of harleys or a triumph etc rather than the modern sporty looking types like the kawasaki so aiming to get a Harley as my first bike.

I still have maybe a month or two before i set my test etc, I think the place I'm learning do an advanced course also which I'll probably do afterwards, so going to have a wee look at offers in the mean time to see whats out there. I have read a few other posts advising going for a decent second hand one either a Harley or maybe a Honda shadow for a first bike so thats maybe an option.

I have enough for a decent deposit for a new one on finance and looking at some of the offers available they look like good deals so maybe buying new would be a better plan. I prefer the looks of the sportster rather than some of the soft tails and tbh they are abit over what I'm aiming to spend on my first bike. I'm planning on going through to Edinburgh to the Harley shop to test one or two at some point before taking the plunge.

The two bikes I'm looking at the moment are the 2019 Custom 1200 and Forty Eight Special.
I'm looking for some advice from you knowledgeable people about what the differences between these two are. I've been checking out some reviews etc on youtube and magazines (alot of the reviews are pretty useless) to try get a rough idea about the bikes.

I'm a total newbie so i only notice the obvious things listed on the specs etc Price wise in the UK they are couple hundred quid difference to set them apart so not much in it there. Looking at what info i have found so far the custom 1200 seems the better choice due to security system as standard i don't think the 48 special comes with this?

The custom 1200 also has a bigger fuel tank so less filling up - 17ltr compared to 8ltr might swing it in the cutoms favor - although i'm not planning on any long journey's maybe the peanut tank would be fine, think i prefer the look of the 48 overall.

I think both come with ABS as standard in the UK, pretty sure its mandatory.

In terms of driving experience can anyone tell my If there is a great deal of difference?

Thanks for any help

Old 12-23-2018, 06:27 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Myself would go for the bigger tank , I did it on my old Ironhead back in 1970 even when more Gas Stations were available .. 2.2 vs 4.5 Gallons can mean a lot when Riding in unfamiliar territory or find out the Station you were depending on to be Closed for some unknown reason ..

Old 12-23-2018, 07:10 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,392 Likes on 518 Posts

I love my 48 but I tell ya, the tiny tank was just not cutting it so I put on a tank from a nightster. But dont let the small tank stop you. If thats the only thing, it can be corrected.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 AM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

I suggest a smaller bike and most certainly used, even if it's only for a few months. Cheaper insurance, people outgrow their first bike, others have a bad experience, get freaked out (or their wives do), decide motorcycling is not for them, and sell at a huge loss. If you have to buy a Sporty as your first, I suggest even that be used.
​​​​​​
Then, there's also the customizing part. If you want to do exhaust, and air intake, and a seat, and grips, and...it adds up.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:42 PM
kuri77
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

What he said

Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Talk2Steyn
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My first Harley (and bike for that matter) was the 1200 custom. Was about 10 years ago though. Absolutely loved it. Brilliant power to weight. That small tank would annoy me personally. Fuelling up is a drag

Old 12-23-2018, 03:07 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

After not having or even being on a bike for over 30 years, in 2009 I bought a new '09 1200 Sportster Custom. Loved it! Of course, after a while I needed something bigger LOL. Now on my 4th Harley, A Road Glide Ultra.

I have seen some really sharp looking Sportster 48 models. My neighbor had a 48 for a while, it was given to him by his dad. We used to ride together some, and still do but he is now on a Road King. But when he had the 48 riding with him was a real PITA cause we had to plan out his fuel stops. Grrrr! That 2.2 gallon tank is what would keep me from ever owning a 48. You are talking maybe getting 100 miles between fill ups. And if you are riding two lane roads outside of a metro area gas stations may not be spaced exactly 100 miles apart for you so you end up refilling at maybe 60-70 miles just to be sure you don't run out.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:21 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

First of all, I love Sportsters! I had three! Here are my comments and suggestions:

1. I would not buy a brand new bike for my first bike. Two reasons: If you have a tip-over, which you very well might given that you're starting out on a bike that weighs almost 600 pounds, it will be VERY expensive. Secondly, if you decide it's not the right bike for you, and you trade it in on something else, it will be VERY expensive. I would suggest used for your first one, no matter which one you pick.

2. The 48 is one of the most uncomfortable Harleys currently being manufactured, even if you stick to shorter rides. Between your two choices, I would most definitely go with the Custom.

3. A used Custom.

Have fun, and after you take the class spend some time every week practicing, at least for 30 minutes or so. Otherwise, the class will be in one ear and out the other.

Ride safe!

Old 12-23-2018, 04:29 PM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had several Sportsters a 2007 Low 2010 48 and My current 2014 Superlow 1200T.....I suggest you get a used one 2007 or later as they are Fuel Injected which makes for start and ride much easier....no petcock or choke to mess whith....hit starter and go.....All of mine have been 1200 Sportsters but have ridden several 883s and find it a very capable bike....I had my 48 a week before I replaced the tank with a 3.5 gallon....but I loved my Low and my current bike with the 4.5 gallon. To me it makes the bike look visably bigger and lower.....The Custom is a great bike I just prefer the wheels on the Superlows.....I took all the baggage and windshield off my Current bike and put a solo seat on it. It all comes down to what bike you are comfortable on and what style of riding you do....Thats why there are so many versions of the Sportster....its a very versitile bike that suites many differnt syles of riding.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Love the Special

If you're not going to do a lot of touring the small tank is not a problem. Everything on a Harley is form vs. Function. I love the old school look and I'm willing to get off the motorcycle every 80 miles or so to take a walk around and fill up. I'm never in a hurry when I ride I just enjoy what I see! I did put on the new speedometer with fuel gauge. It gives me peace of mind but I can almost pinpoint to the exact mile that I need to refill. There's a lot of saddlebag options that have a spare fuel canister that would be easy to use if it helps your decision.

Quick Reply: Sportster 1200 vs 48 Special