Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Waterproof Stage 1 Air Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 02:03 PM
OldMonty
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Best Waterproof Stage 1 Air Cleaner?

Looking to get a fuel system and air intake to upgrade to Stage 1 over the winter, and I am wondering if there is a full air-cleaner assembly that is known to be waterproof? Or do you have to go with a rain sock no matter what?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Mattgraham
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMonty
Looking to get a fuel system and air intake to upgrade to Stage 1 over the winter, and I am wondering if there is a full air-cleaner assembly that is known to be waterproof? Or do you have to go with a rain sock no matter what?

Thanks!
I have found that the round open air cleaner seem to do well in the rain without a sock. I assume it is because it can draw from the back side that tends to be dry. The only time I have ever noticed a problem was when trying to out run a tornado in a heavy rain going well over 100mph and there would be an occasional miss. Never knew for sure if it was because of water or

not but I do know the 05 Road King did out run the Tornado and we rode over 100 mph in rain for many miles.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:06 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

I also decided to do a Stage 1 upgrade on my 2017 Superlow 1200T. After driving myself and others nuts for about six weeks on what components to include in the upgrade, I finally settled on an HD Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit (HD part # 29782-07). This decision was based upon the recommendation of a mechanic I trust at my HD dealer. One of the reasons he recommends this air cleaner is because it doesn't require a rain sock to be pretty water resistant, certainly good enough for Las Vegas. I like the looks of it because it maintains the stock look. But, be aware that it is only for certain models of a Sportster and won't be the one you want if you plan to go on to Stage 2 or higher modifications. Since I plan to stop at the Stage 1 modification, this is not a problem to me.

FYI: I plan to write a post on the conversion, along with pictures, after I finish the work this weekend. The other components I am using are a Vance & Hines FP3 and V&H Twin Slash 3" slip-on mufflers.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is no such thing! While our engines are running in the rain they will draw wet air in through the air filter. The stock airbox is the most weather-resistant design as air, hence rain, can only get in through the air inlet. The next best alternative IMHO is a dish-shaped cover which hides the filter element from view, so it doesn't get wet while parked.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:11 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The more you pay, the more HP you will get..................

Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattgraham
Wow, is that how you pack your gear on a road trip? Not sure I'd want to be following you on my bike, or even my truck. One good pothole, and you'd be having a "yard sale."

John

Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John Harper
Wow, is that how you pack your gear on a road trip? Not sure I'd want to be following you on my bike, or even my truck. One good pothole, and you'd be having a "yard sale."

John
Indeed, there are tourpaks for that 'stuff'!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:49 PM
kuri77
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

If not a TourPak get some Rok Straps instead of those bungees.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/445...gaAsuFEALw_wcB

Last edited by kuri77; 01-17-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add link
Old 01-17-2019, 10:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMonty

Thanks!
There are huge differences between air cleaners...very few of them are truly performance oriented...regardless of the marketing hype. Check out this LINK to learn about the differences between typical air cleaners and the few companies that make better ones.

Here are a couple of set-ups of True Performance Air Cleaners "best" that do not require a rain sock, even in the most heavy downpour.

Both of the above are 587 Complete Systems and more photos can be seen HERE. The cover completely covers the filter element from water hitting it from above and from driving into it while riding.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Putting aside the crankcase breather issue, I went with the Screamin Eagle air cleaner as it keeps the stock look of the bike.

Attachment 619158

Quick Reply: Best Waterproof Stage 1 Air Cleaner?