Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubber mounted engine vs solid

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
wojeepster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber mounted engine vs solid

I am new to harleys and am drawn to sportsters because they are lighter and cheaper... I think I would be happy with a 883! Anyway for those of you that have ridden both what is the difference between the 2004 up with rubber mounted engine compared to the earlier sportsters with the solid mount? Also it seems like the older ones aren't any cheaper than the three year old ones..so I am thinking look for condition primarily and low milage.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
agedwards63
Road Master
Default RE: rubber mounted engine vs solid

I have owned both and like the rubber mounted much better... but you will get many different opinons on that, as to what is different the frame is TOTALLY different the pre 04's the engine was mounted to the frame... they got rid of the trap door in 04 now if you need tranny work they have to split the cases which costs more now in 07 they have the Fuel Injection oh and in 04 they went with the bigger 150 tire here are some pics of my girls...

Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you decide, try an older model, then a 2004 or better, through all the gears. Some folks don't mind the vibration. I found that there was a distinct difference and ended up buying a used 2004. Another consideration is if the pipes and carb or EFI has been modified to get better performance. This would apply to any Sportster under consideration.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a 1200 solid mount with a carb.You'll dig the vibes!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM
x2lee
Banned

I like the vibes myself, most folks think the rubber mounts are better, but I dont. Another thing to consider it the newer models weigh about 75 lbs more than the earlier models. I wouldnt trade my 03 for an 08...
Not only for the above stated reasons but it looks better to me also. When I get ALL THE GOOD OUT OF MY 1200, I will rebuild it and put some cams in it to boot.

you may be happy with a 883 but why take the chance you wont? U can buy a 1200 for not much more.
ORIGINAL: wojeepster

I am new to harleys and am drawn to sportsters because they are lighter and cheaper... I think I would be happy with a 883! Anyway for those of you that have ridden both what is the difference between the 2004 up with rubber mounted engine compared to the earlier sportsters with the solid mount? Also it seems like the older ones aren't any cheaper than the three year old ones..so I am thinking look for condition primarily and low milage.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 PM
valveguide
Tourer

As far as I am , it is all Hype.

I have not had a Sporty that I could see effeciently out of the mirrors at speed.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

Can't say much about the rubber mount but I can tell ya that there is some differences between year models before the rubber mount came out... I had a 94 883 XL.... Nice bike but vibrated like a cheap motel bed at 60 mph... then had a 99 XL Custom 883.. again at 60 mph couldn't see the rear view mirrors it vibrated so bad through the handle bars... Next was an 03 XLH 1200.. vibration was still there but not as bad... Got away from bikes till 07 and bought another XLH 883, 1999 off ebay with 13000 miles on it... and guess what! almost no vibration! Seems to me that the pre rubber mounted XLH standard models vibrate less then the Custom I had. Could be the heavier front wheel or handlebar style.. Not really sure... As mentioned the first XLH 883 was nearly new when I got it with low miles and the woman who owned it before me said she couldn't stand the numbness in her feet because of it..

Milage on a bike my smooth things out a bit... so ya gotta try em all...

Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM
joel85
Road Captain

I tested both and went with new and rubber mounted. The vibrations of the older models didn't bother me though. I also wasn;t cruising at highway speed either though. 883 will be fine for ya. Most riders are going to try and steer ya toward the 1200, it is the "harley manly" syndrome kicking in. 883 is fine for riding by yourself or 2up. Don't let em fool ya. If ya have the cash and want a 1200 go for it.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See my sig. Seriously, I like to feel the power.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 PM
x2lee
Banned

tHE VIBE IN THE MIRRORS HAS A LOT TO DO WITH WHETHER THE MIRRORS ARE CONCAVE OR NOT, I have been thro 4 sets of mirrors on this current sportster and I have a flat set now and I have no problem seeing with them, now ifI rev over 6k they did try to turn upwardssometimes,I put a little locktite on them and that has quit for now.
I cant argue that newer models vibe less, thats a fact.A good lady friend of mine has an 06 I ride sometimes it dont vibe as much as mine but her mirrors are useless, I told here to get some flat ones but shes not a mod type person, I even offered to install them
and still she hasnt thrown down for a set...
ORIGINAL: Doug45601

Can't say much about the rubber mount but I can tell ya that there is some differences between year models before the rubber mount came out... I had a 94 883 XL.... Nice bike but vibrated like a cheap motel bed at 60 mph... then had a 99 XL Custom 883.. again at 60 mph couldn't see the rear view mirrors it vibrated so bad through the handle bars... Next was an 03 XLH 1200.. vibration was still there but not as bad... Got away from bikes till 07 and bought another XLH 883, 1999 off ebay with 13000 miles on it... and guess what! almost no vibration! Seems to me that the pre rubber mounted XLH standard models vibrate less then the Custom I had. Could be the heavier front wheel or handlebar style.. Not really sure... As mentioned the first XLH 883 was nearly new when I got it with low miles and the woman who owned it before me said she couldn't stand the numbness in her feet because of it..

Milage on a bike my smooth things out a bit... so ya gotta try em all...

Quick Reply: rubber mounted engine vs solid