Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Experienced Riders Course

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF Experienced Riders Course

So I went to the ERC yesterday. It was such a waste of time. I was very disappointed. you dont learn anything new u sit in a classroom for about an hour then u spend the rest of the time doing riding excercises from the BRC. It was basicly just a BRC (Which was AWESOME!!)review. Anybody out there thinking of taking it save your money. Luckily I got to waste the Gov'ts money and not my own since they are making it mandatory for military. But it'd be cheaper to buy some little cones find an empty parking lot and set up ur own little courses.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we dont even have advanced courses around here...

Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info. tell us more detail.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Alex_C
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember it being a lot of drills on evading obsticles at speed, and while not the huge amount of stuff you learn in the beginner's course where you're learning to ride a bike and all the basic skills you need, the skills I've learned in the ERC have saved my bacon a few times.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:18 AM
congo_usmc
Tourer

i don't know if the courses vary or not but i learned all that stuff in the BRC

Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went thru the ERC yesterday at Fort Belvoir in VA. Basically as stated above a review of the BRC. it was good for me as I just got my Iron last month and have not had a chance to ride due to weather & work schedule. Nice to know you can do the stuff on a soprtster as all I've ever had were sportbikes with a whole different riding position. Crappy weather tho as it started raining about halfway thru the class so that made for some interesting drills with the evading and sudden stops. Don't care what you ride, cruiser or a sportbike, a bike sliding in the rain is NO FUN!!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've attended 3 Experienced Rider courses and have gotten something new out of each of them. It is like the beginer course in that it is done in a parking lot at 5 - 10 mph and you are going around cones etc. But I think a lot of it depends on the instructors that you get and the attitude that you have when you're there.

The classroom sessions for us were mostly about the instructor discussing various situations and then throwing it open to class discussion. 15 bikers in the room all with opinions, very instructive.

The course work taught balance and coordination far more strictly than the basic rider course and you're actually doing it on your own bike, not some little clown bike that weighs 50 pounds. An example of one of this was an exercise in throttle control where we had to do the cone weave with our left hand off the bars.

One additional benefit is that it counts as a defensive driving course so can count as a discount on your insurance

Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 AM
slackwolf
Cruiser

I didn't bother with MSF experienced riders course, but I took the Ride Like a Pro class which was fun and a lot more than just BRC.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also took the Ride Like a Pro Class. It was pretty good.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 AM
congo_usmc
Tourer

Originally Posted by bolillo57
I just went thru the ERC yesterday at Fort Belvoir in VA. Basically as stated above a review of the BRC. it was good for me as I just got my Iron last month and have not had a chance to ride due to weather & work schedule. Nice to know you can do the stuff on a soprtster as all I've ever had were sportbikes with a whole different riding position. Crappy weather tho as it started raining about halfway thru the class so that made for some interesting drills with the evading and sudden stops. Don't care what you ride, cruiser or a sportbike, a bike sliding in the rain is NO FUN!!
i went through there too maybe the course varies with different locations

Quick Reply: MSF Experienced Riders Course