Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-seize on rear axle bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-seize on rear axle bolt?

I've heard horror sories about axles being stuck, so when I pulled my rear wheel due to tire puncture at 2,000 miles, I coated the axle with anti-seize. Shortly after that, my dealer replaced rear brake mounting bracket, so they had to pull the axle. They are the only other place that has put a wrench on my bike.

Now at 16,980 miles, I had to replace the rear tire. Had to knock the axle out with a hammer, and there was no anti-seize except for traces that rubbed off the wheel bearings. I mean, it was clean - no grease at all on it, and beginning to corrode.

Is anti-seize such a bad thing that the dealer would go to the trouble of cleaning it off?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 AM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mbwannabe1
I've heard horror sories about axles being stuck, so when I pulled my rear wheel due to tire puncture at 2,000 miles, I coated the axle with anti-seize. Shortly after that, my dealer replaced rear brake mounting bracket, so they had to pull the axle. They are the only other place that has put a wrench on my bike.

Now at 16,980 miles, I had to replace the rear tire. Had to knock the axle out with a hammer, and there was no anti-seize except for traces that rubbed off the wheel bearings. I mean, it was clean - no grease at all on it, and beginning to corrode.

Is anti-seize such a bad thing that the dealer would go to the trouble of cleaning it off?
My dealer does apply anti seize at the 10,000 mile service when they do it.Dont know why you wouldnt want to.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The main reason for the rear axle being stuck is lack of grease on the axle, not from a lack of anti-seize on the nut. Just take some steel wool and clean up the corrosion, and apply PLENTY of axle grease, you should be fine. For some reason, they don't put grease on the axle during manufacturing, and most likely it's not called for in the Harley service proceures, that all the so called certified Harley mechanics follow.

Anti-seize compound is for threads, not axles.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

It could have come off from how you wash it. Do you use a nozzle or a high pressure washer? I try to stay away from the actual axle area with high pressure water. Agreed with sportypig as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
The main reason for the rear axle being stuck is lack of grease on the axle, not from a lack of anti-seize on the nut. Just take some steel wool and clean up the corrosion, and apply PLENTY of axle grease, you should be fine. For some reason, they don't put grease on the axle during manufacturing, and most likely it's not called for in the Harley service proceures, that all the so called certified Harley mechanics follow.

Anti-seize compound is for threads, not axles.
Well this is one of the few times I'll have to disagree with SportyPig.

Anti-seize works quite well for coating the axle, that's all I use on mine and I never have any problem slipping the axle out every 15K or so when it's tire change time. Since the axle doesn't turn inside the bearing, you're not looking for lubrication, just to prevent the bearing and axle from becoming corroded together. However, axle grease will work just fine as well.

It sounds to me like the dipsheet dealer wiped your anti-seize off the axle.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 PM
twincam8888
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always grease or anti-seize the axle, preferably anti-seize

Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, another anti-seize user here....I have had a hand in beating the axles out of more than one bike, especially ones that go a few years before the first tire change.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No expert wrench here... just pick up what I can along the way....anti-seize is certainly less messy to deal with than axle greese.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you got a shady dealer that did it on purpose so you have to comeback for service later on in hopes that you weren't able to pull the axle yourself....... Or they were just lazy.

Anyhow, I use antiseize also over grease......in my experience grease has more tendancy to be pushed out of the bearing/axle contact points leaving bare spots that start to rust. But ever since I've used antiseize....it seams to stay in place with good coverage, leaving the axle looking just as well covered as the day I put the stuff on.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use antiseize, it is what the manual says to use and it was what I was told to use. I contributed my stuck rear axle to my pressure washer. I now never use it near the axles.

Quick Reply: Anti-seize on rear axle bolt?