Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil/ignition relocation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 PM
twhill3
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default coil/ignition relocation question

I've seen a lot of people relocate there coil and ignition to the engine area. I mentioned that to the guy at the dealer and he brought up that its not good because of the heat and the vibration. It makes sense but then again he works at a HD dealership so I dont trust them. Have you guys that have relocated had any trouble and also how long have you had your relocation?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent had any problems, Have had mine on for about 3 months maybe.....I mean alot of HD bikes have their ignition and coil there from the Factory so I dont know why we cant lol But i may be wrong but so far so good!!!!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Hi there

I had the same thoughts you have and although many have done the relocation i still felt it's a little close,I moved my ignition up and just below the stearing lock.And once i get a longer plug lead i'm moving the coil to the position the horn sits at present.Ive lifted the headlight and put a new hooter in the space below it.H.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 PM
socaliron883
Advanced

ive had mine bout a thousand miles with no issues, also look at alot of custom motorcycles they run there coil in between the motor..its a harley there isnt a spot on my bike that i know of that doesnt shake so its a personal choice i guess.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

hey.. I relocated the ignition coil in the same area, although in order to avoid a possible vibration issue I relocated it by attaching the coil to the chassis instead of the top of the cylinders... about 4k miles with this mod with no issues and no need to readjust... here is the link:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...n-my-take.html

Old 01-19-2015, 11:39 PM
adversary
6th Gear

Sorry to dig up and old thread, but..

I recently relocated my key cylinder to the engine area towards the bottom. I used a kit that mounts it to the grounding bolt. I had problems almost immediately. The key seems to get stuck every time i run the bike. One of my theories is that the Key cylinder gets too hot and the metal expands, causing the key to get stuck. I have to wiggle the key back and forth and up and down until it hesitantly comes out.

Has anybody else had this problem. I'm thinking about wrapping it with some sort of thermal insulation to possibly help with this problem.

Last edited by adversary; 01-19-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 AM
jester3k
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres why its bs.
its the same ammount of heat if you look at the position.
Vibration yeah, theres quite abit more. The guys over at DK customs include two rubber mounts that you place one the relocation bracket, one for the coil one for the key.

Gives the bike a nice clean look.

One thing though. When you do the relo, take the master fuse out first. I didnt and i zapped the vss sensor out of wack haha.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 AM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My key broke yesterday on a 2 day trip. The key is stuck in there and my house keys are lost in the depths of Alabama somewhere lol. It's lasted 12k miles though and its $20 of a fix at the most. Not a big deal.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmant
My key broke yesterday on a 2 day trip. The key is stuck in there and my house keys are lost in the depths of Alabama somewhere lol. It's lasted 12k miles though and its $20 of a fix at the most. Not a big deal.
I keep my bike key separate from all the other keys.
BTW..where is everyone relocating the cow bell horn when moving the coils?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jester3k
Heres why its bs.
its the same ammount of heat if you look at the position.
Vibration yeah, theres quite abit more. The guys over at DK customs include two rubber mounts that you place one the relocation bracket, one for the coil one for the key.

Gives the bike a nice clean look.

One thing though. When you do the relo, take the master fuse out first. I didnt and i zapped the vss sensor out of wack haha.
Thanks for the shout out

Originally Posted by twhill3
I've seen a lot of people relocate there coil and ignition to the engine area. I mentioned that to the guy at the dealer and he brought up that its not good because of the heat and the vibration. It makes sense but then again he works at a HD dealership so I dont trust them. Have you guys that have relocated had any trouble and also how long have you had your relocation?
Kevin (the K in DK) has had a Coil and Ignition Relocation and on his Sporty. He had his Ignition above the coil for about 4 years and did not have any problems out of it. Below is a picture of a Coil and Ignition Relocation at different angles.
On some 48's & 72's will touch the plastic housing of the relocated key switch. This can be alleviated by choosing the Flex-Six option, or by cutting a small portion of the plastic housing.

You can look at the many options we have at the link below.
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Coil...ocation_c8.htm

Originally Posted by Guzzi
I keep my bike key separate from all the other keys.
BTW..where is everyone relocating the cow bell horn when moving the coils?

Here is one way you can Relocate the Horn

If you have a Sportster Custom or Roadster you will need the Horn Relocation Bracket. This bracket Bolts right between the down tubes in front of the front cylinder using the top motor mount bolts.

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Quick Reply: coil/ignition relocation question