Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride into work

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Arctic Badger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default First ride into work

Just rode the bike into work for the first time. It's 20 to 25 miles one way, 95% freeway.

Put my leather on, stuck my laptop in my backpack and off I went.

I was glad I wore my jacket; it was pretty cool out there. It was a great morning for a ride though, traffic was light, sun was out, road was dry, and I gave myself 50 minutes to get in even though I can normally do it in under 30 minutes with my car.

One spot in the road had me worried about taking the bike to work. For some reason there are two bumps in the road, fairly significant, right after one another. My guess would be 2-4 inches high and separated by about a foot. It looks like they are caused by compression in the road from the heat, but most likely because the road workers were drunk that day. The placement of the bumps makes them more troublesome, as they are about 1/4 mile before my exit, at the exact spot people begin braking.

I faded back a good 3 seconds behind the vehicle in front of me, double-tapped the brakes to get the attention of the dude behind me, stood up a bit on the forward controls, and breezed over those bumps as if they were two pencils in the road. The sportys’ suspension keeps surprising me how rider-friendly it is.

Pulling into downtown was another worry. Folks drive insane around here. Lots of cars, lots of people trying to get to work, and the courthouse is around the corner. I was a bit nervous getting onto Jefferson Blvd. but the light traffic made the experience a confidence booster. The SEII pipes rumbling off the high rise buildings sounded spectacular, too.

Overall it was a very fun trip. I'm looking forward to brining it back home this afternoon.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: First ride into work

Surprised you actually went to work - must have been tmpted to just keep on riding!!!!

Sammi

Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you enjoyed it. My ride to work consists of riding through a county owned park that is 14 miles long. It is difficult at best to make my turn out of the park towards work. Beautiful ride, though. If I don't feel like working on any particular day, makeing the ride eases the pain.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Arctic Badger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hehehe

Turning into work the first time isn't hard. I get to show off my bike to all my co-workers, drive around the ren-cen, filling the downtown detroit air with a harley rumble.

And, probably most importantly, I realized I need a windscreen of some kind, so I need money, and the place for money is that right turn at the driveway just up ahead....

I may not be able to take that right turn next time though.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arctic Badger

And, probably most importantly, I realized I need a windscreen of some kind, so I need money, and the place for money is that right turn at the driveway just up ahead....
I wouldn't know how to act riding with a windshield....

I've put over 500,000 miles on the Harley's I've owned (average around 20,000 miles a year for 33+ years), and none of them have had a windshield. If the wind wasn't trying to knock me off the bike, or bugs and birds weren't trying to knock me out, I'd feel lost. [sm=biker.gif]

Actually, I have ridden bikes with windshield, and it is a pleasant change of pace. In fact, I've been tempted to get one of those "quick disconnect" windshields. Maybe someday....

Old 08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
HarleyCanada
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait for the ride home.........It is always better riding away from work.......

Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 PM
bigtop
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have been riding to work on my 06 883. It sure make the ride to and from a lot more interesting. Where are you in the Detroit area? I live here as well. Downriver. On Grosse Ile. My travel to work is about 30 miles. Out to Farmington Hills. I work the midnight shift and travel Telegraph. Steady 45-50 and I can make most, if not all, of the lights.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Crossbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, the first ride to work always is kinda sweet when you get to show the bike off. you'll love the ride home even more, probably take much longer too...stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love riding in to work but the ride home is horrible. The heat and the traffic make it rough. But, a day riding is better than a day in the truck.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:15 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride to work almost every day but it's only 1 and 1/2 miles.I used to have a Suzuki 450 with rusty pipes.When I got my new 06 883 low I told people to come out and see my new pipes.I told them it mad3e it look like a whole different bike.They came out laughed and agreed it did look like a different bike the color even changed.Lol.

Quick Reply: First ride into work