Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight modulator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:14 PM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one on two hds. really liked it ! Cant put one on 2016 fltrxs as it is a can ban system. Hope they come out with one for my bike!

Old 02-11-2017, 05:12 PM
moe less
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... That makes me wonder. The shop had a modulator on the shelf, who knows how old, and they installed it on my 2016 FXDL S Low Rider. Soon after, my idle started hanging at about 1600 and my digital indicator (miles, time of day, gear, etc) started changing itself after I shut the bike off. They kept it a week or two trying to get it to idle up again, only did it once so they know it DOES happen. Now I wonder if they even looked into that aspect. Guess I'll call. Thanks for that info.
Moe Less

Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I've been running a headlight modulator on my CanBUS Heritage for several years...no issues.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I definitely notice bikes with a modulator more......I've been thinking about getting one. I guess looking a little dorky at times is worth the added visibility.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greatscott
I definitely notice bikes with a modulator more......I've been thinking about getting one. I guess looking a little dorky at times is worth the added visibility.
I run near 100% of the time with the modulator on with the Sporty. On the Softail, probably about 50% of the time.

When I approach another bike head-on, or from behind, I switch my modulator off...as a courtesy.

Sometimes I'll forget to turn on the modulator on the Sporty...it is usually only a few miles of riding when I notice a cager NOT seeing me...then I realize, ahh, my headlight modulator is not on. I switch it on, and all of a sudden they are paying attention.

It is not the entire answer to avoiding being hit by a driver not paying attention, but it is a powerful tool that reduces the risk.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I run near 100% of the time with the modulator on with the Sporty. On the Softail, probably about 50% of the time.

When I approach another bike head-on, or from behind, I switch my modulator off...as a courtesy.

Sometimes I'll forget to turn on the modulator on the Sporty...it is usually only a few miles of riding when I notice a cager NOT seeing me...then I realize, ahh, my headlight modulator is not on. I switch it on, and all of a sudden they are paying attention.

It is not the entire answer to avoiding being hit by a driver not paying attention, but it is a powerful tool that reduces the risk.
Which modulator do you run? Do you sell them?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greatscott
Which modulator do you run? Do you sell them?
I've run a few different brands over the years. The one I am running in the canBUS bike is a http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm brand.

No, we do not sell them.

btw, some folks say modulators don't work well with LED bulbs.

We do sell a bunch of LED set-ups...we are pretty strong on SEE & BE SEEN

I've had zero issues with the modulators and our LED bulbs...they work great together.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Angry Cut the crap....

There has not been one post here against them that makes any sense, not one. I have been running mine for over a year. No one on earth is going to ever mistake you for an emergency vehicle or think you are signaling them to pull out. Name one emergency vehicle that has no red or blue lights, just a pulsing headlight. Don't know where you folks took driver training way back but there is NO such signal.... anywhere!

I've had guys get out of their cage or pull their bike up to mine in intersections asking where they could get one. None of them could believe how much the pulse increased my visibility.

My light pulses about 4 times a second, try to flick your high beams up and down even half that fast, you can not do it. My headlight pulse works with high or low beams and the sensor on the bars turns it off when it gets dark. Simple and very, very effective.

Just a few hours ago my bride and I were in the cage driving home when a small group of bikes approached one of which had the pulse going. We saw him first by a country mile. The simple truth/fact is that the human eye is drawn to motion {think the SMIDSY swerve}, which is probably why all aircraft have flashing lights. Yep, the better to see you with {grandma}....

If one is not your cup of Joe that's fine but people please.... drop the ridiculous, nonsensical BS that they are in any way a hazard. Arrrrg!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,975 Likes on 21,320 Posts

I've been using mine now for 4+ years.
Annoying, perhaps but better than being dead.
80/100 watt Osram/Sylvania bulb.