Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding another to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbyun
Not for everyone it seems

I think that's why I'm leaning towards the Ninja 650R due to its more upright position and I like how it looks.
http://onslow.craigslist.org/mcy/2543067317.html

Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't mind have a Duke Diavel

Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

When I wanted something to go with my XR1200, I decided that the V-Rod was the perfect companion for it.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbyun
I've had my Sporty for about 2 years now and it's been a great 2 years...but being human and always wanting more I'm slowly planning on getting another bike since variety is the spice of life.

I started off at looking at other Harley models but nothing really stands out like the Nightster did to me when I first saw it...in fact, personally, the newer models have been kind of disappointing.

So, I decided to go the complete opposite direction and started looking at crotch rockets. Not knowing anything about the correct protocol for being a squid poser, I started off looking at the supersport 600cc models like the R6, ZX-6R, CBR 600RR, etc. However, I soon found that although these are awesome machines, they're really built for the track and not really practical for the type of riding I like to do so now I'm looking at the detuned versions and really like the Ninja 650R.

Right now, I'm in the mindset that I would never sell the Sporty. However, I'm interested in some of you guys out there that have a Sportster but also have a crotch rocket and want to know what it's like having the two different types of bikes? Do you end up just riding one while the other collects dust? I guess it would vary from person to person but any experiences would help.

Thanks.
I came from an FZ-6, which is just an R6 with riser bars, naked, and midset foot controls. It is VERY fast. 14,500 rpm redline. Its like having an F1 engine between your legs.

I still have it, but I have no desire to get on it unless I'm taking it to the track.

In my opinion, if you have awesome curvy roads at your disposal, yours won't collect dust, as you will have that desire go out and really carve asphalt as only a sportbike can.

Personally, my FZ6 is for sale because here in the middle of the flattest land on earth, where there are literally NO curvy roads or mountains for hundreds of miles, sportbikes are boring unless you are breaking the speed limit in highly criminal amounts.

For you in NC, I'd say get a used 600, get the suspension sorted out for your weight and riding style, and have a blast on those mountain roads!!!

p.s. - My 2007 FZ-6 is for sale and has some awesome mods. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:01 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

I found a similar one for $4350 and I think the mileage is similar. I would love to pick one up right away but I need to get on some of these different bikes and financially, now isn't the right time so I'm hoping over the winter or next spring.

Originally Posted by lh4x4
When I wanted something to go with my XR1200, I decided that the V-Rod was the perfect companion for it.
I like how Harley's venturing towards the liquid cool engines and adopting newer technology but personally, if I had the cash to buy a V-Rod, I would spend it on something else that's cheaper and faster and handles better. I love how the V-Rod look by themselves but when someone is riding it, it kind of doesn't fit...still waiting to see someone put apes on that thing. Might actually look kind of cool.

EDIT: did a quick google search and found tons of 'em

I take that back...I like the stock bars better YMMV.

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
For you in NC, I'd say get a used 600, get the suspension sorted out for your weight and riding style, and have a blast on those mountain roads!!!

p.s. - My 2007 FZ-6 is for sale and has some awesome mods. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.
Yeah, I love the twisties and although the Sporty is fun, I think a sport bike is definitely a better tool to carve them wicked turns. I don't think I would ever cruise around in the Ninja but mountains are only 3 hours away and NC is a pretty good state for someone with the twisty addiction.

Last edited by jbyun; 09-03-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 AM
blhill1
Cruiser

I've always thought a Thruxton by Triumph looked like a really fun bike. Fast enough, but not built for the track.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ninja 650r is a good choice in bike man if you want a change and want to get your feet wet on a sport bike. you can also take it to the track if you ever want to experience that at some point. i've seen a few out there. they obviously aren't geared like the zx6 but you can still lean them plenty far and go plenty fast! good luck j.....

Old 09-04-2011, 04:27 PM
GudOlBoy
Advanced

Ever consider a Supermoto? They can be had pretty cheap. And will do everything a sport bike will do except mach 5. Thats what my second bike is. Also can tear off into the woods when you feel like it.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

I just bought what was supposed to be a 2nd bike because my N was in the shop for months. I picked up a 1980 Yamaha SR500. I love it. Rare, cool, a kick-only single with old school kinda bonneville looks. It's a cult bike. It's way more comfortable to ride than my N with it's forgiving suspension, but it's just not a harley. when I get my N back we'll see which one gets ridden.

I wanted a dual-sport and still do, but I just can't touch the ground even a little on most, and the SR was a great deal, I can definitely sell it for more than I paid.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

My Sportster is my sport bike, but I've kicked around the idea of a Suzuki SV 650S, or a DRZ400 (with and/or without supermoto tires), or a Kawasaki ZR-7S. A new Triumph Sprint GT or Street Triple wouldn't suck. Maybe a new Honda CBR250. The list goes on forever. The thing is, I only want to buy another bike, not sell one. Perhaps a used XR1200, or a bagger...

Quick Reply: Adding another to the stable