Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
10.75's? Nice! I just did 11's...even then I was afraid 2-up would bite me in the *** later on. I rode em with no air, 15 lb. and 20 lb. 15 felt PERFECT, so I went with 20 till we can get a 2-up ride in. Always waitin' on parts, now the weather is here. :\
Let me know how the ride goes. I'm hoping the 10.75 work out...trying to get the *** end as low as possible and still be ok. I'm thinking that boosting up the air will make the ride a bit stiff but still keep it from bottoming out with both of us on it? If not, the guy from BitchinBaggers said he'd swap me even up for longer ones.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll be good as far as that goes...at 20, they don't sag one bit, but I can inflict enough pressure to make em squish about an inch just sitting in the garage. I'm at 210 lbs.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
I think you'll be good as far as that goes...at 20, they don't sag one bit, but I can inflict enough pressure to make em squish about an inch just sitting in the garage. I'm at 210 lbs.
Excellent. Together my wife and I tip the scales at just over 300 lbs. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Thanks Voony, and ya it's a good point. In fact, my wife asked me almost the very same question a few weeks ago, just not as politely.

Had I known then what I know now, I probably would have done it differently. I decided back in the Spring that after 20 some years of not riding I was gonna get back on a bike again, and for some reason I can't really explain I wanted a Harley. Took me a couple of months to get the wife used to the idea...she is not a biker babe and didn't realize she had signed up for that...in fact, she's still getting used to the idea... But anyway, I was browsing the local want ads, saw the Nightster and decided to buy it. I knew enough about stock bikes from my youth that I was anticipating doing some modifications to it. But the more I got into the whole thing the more I wanted to change/improve/modify to my taste. There was the whole engine paint problem, some rust on the frame, etc, that wasn't all that noticable when I bought it and I hadn't realized how bad it was until I really got into it. And that kind of thing bugs the **** out of me, knowing it's there even though hardly anyone but me would notice. This forum hasn't been any help at all either...or it's been a huge help, depending on your perspective. Reading about all the mods, seeing the pics of all the great sportys...I got the bug. Bad. I'm addicted. I feel compelled to really turn this stock Nightster into MY bike. I want to make it as unique/badass/bitchin/awsome as I am capable of, within a modest budget, and within the parameters I'm stuck with, i.e. - has to remain 2-up capable and it can't be too loud.

It's a creative outlet for me, something I can craft into a unique work of...dare I say...art. I am not an artist by any stretch, but I love being creative. I'm not a machinist or a carpenter but I love taking wood or metal and making it into something else, even if it's not very useful or pretty. The very kewl thing about motorcycles is that you don't need to be a master machinist or ace mechanic to turn a stock bike into something very unique. Those things help a lot if you really want to get serious, if you're building or rebuilding motorcycles, chopping frames and one-offing most or all of the components. But for us average Joe's, we can really express ourselves through our bikes without too much in the way of KSA's (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities). And you don't have to buy everything from Joker Machine, Roland Sands or god forbid, Harley Davidson, to do it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and no offense to Kevin from DK Customs from whom I've already purchased a few sweet items.
But this sportster platform allows so much mixing and matching of purchased, crafted and altered components that everyone can be creative, regardless of your KSA level.

As I said in an earlier post, I am extremely fortunate to have a son-in-law that has his own machine shop and a wealth of KSA's when it comes to motorcycles and fabricating. I would not have gone near the extent I have if it weren't for him and his shop, to which I have complete access. That, and the long upstate NY winters which allow me at least five months of non-riding weather to do all the work. The more I thought about my bike and the things that I needed/wanted to do just sitting there for five months, the more creative I got with my plans.

I'm learning as I go, and loving every minute of it.
Another very inspiring post! Thanks for sharing. I too want to make my bike look like no other one, or almost. Luckily enough, my vision of my bike is not as radical as yours might be. By the way, I would love for you to show me a picture of a bike that would kinda look like what you want yours to look.

Best of luck with you project! I will keep an eye on that thread for sure.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

... Took us about ten minutes to get the engine from the bench into the frame. Here's the way it's sitting now.
Maybe I missed this; how are you planning to paint the frame? Seems like you'd want to do it with the engine out, if possible. I've only painted a frame when it was stripped down, would be a lot of masking otherwise. Would be great to have a heated garage or shop. I'm planning on bringing a couple bikes into the dining room this winter (don't eat in there much, anyway), but of course that won't get too complicated; the Harley will have to sit on it's own rubber and I won't be firing any of them up. It'll still give me a head start for spring.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
Maybe I missed this; how are you planning to paint the frame? Seems like you'd want to do it with the engine out, if possible. I've only painted a frame when it was stripped down, would be a lot of masking otherwise. Would be great to have a heated garage or shop. I'm planning on bringing a couple bikes into the dining room this winter (don't eat in there much, anyway), but of course that won't get too complicated; the Harley will have to sit on it's own rubber and I won't be firing any of them up. It'll still give me a head start for spring.
Hey Imold. I'm having the frame powder coated. I still have some work to do on it - seat placement, a bit more welding, tank mods, etc...and the best way to figure out exactly how those things should go is with the bike mostly reassembled. Once I am sure that I have everything the way I want it I'll tear it all down again and ship everything off to the powder coater. I don't want to powder coat it and then realize that I need a hole drilled in it or another bracket welded on. That would suck.

I see a lot of guys working on their bikes in the house. My old lady would divorce me fer shur at the mere mention of that.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by Voony
Another very inspiring post! Thanks for sharing. I too want to make my bike look like no other one, or almost. Luckily enough, my vision of my bike is not as radical as yours might be. By the way, I would love for you to show me a picture of a bike that would kinda look like what you want yours to look.

Best of luck with you project! I will keep an eye on that thread for sure.
Sure, well, this isn't an easy one. I have about a hundred pics saved on my computer, none of which is exactly how I want mine but each has aspects that I really like. Some are closer to the overall look and feel and some just have one or two items I like. I tend to favor the look of the hard tails so I've gotten a lot of inspiration from those bikes. Bdav's Nightster hardtail comes to mind. I realize that I'm never gonna approach that look with a stock sportster swing arm frame but I'm gonna try and lean it that way. I caught the fat front tire bug from Exile Cycles.

Name:  0307_01zExile_Cycles_Chunky_ThunderRight_Side_View.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  59.7 KB

Here's the Iron Guerilla from Taiwan that I really like and it's not a hard tail.

Name:  IRONGUERILLA2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  138.1 KB

This one I found over on Chop Cult, the Sex Panther. I decided to powder coat the side cases and rocker covers gloss black after seeing this. I'm also thinking of doing a skid plate as well.
Name:  _Sex_Panther_Sportster_14.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  121.9 KB
Name:  _Sex_Panther_Sportster_17.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  158.4 KB

And finally, there's this one. Can't remember where I found this but the bike looks killer in my book. I really like the bar end signals and will probably go this route with mine to clean up the front and rear of the bike.

Name:  KewlBobber.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  72.0 KB
Name:  KewlBobber2.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  80.5 KB

That's just a few of the many pics I've used as inspiration. I've found many, many pics here on the forum as well. I hold no illusions of getting mine to look anything close to as nice as and of them. I'm just stealing ideas, trying to figure out what might look best, work best and still perform for me for a reasonable cost. Hoping for some uniqueness, some originality and hoping it turns out halfway decent in the end.

Last edited by Ergonight; 12-05-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
justglidin
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those bikes look killer bro!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the info coming!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I see a lot of guys working on their bikes in the house. My old lady would divorce me fer shur at the mere mention of that.
Mine did. Well, there were other reasons of course, and that was a long time ago. I'm a kind of confirmed bachelor now. But it does make it a lot easier to do what I want. Have a GF that also likes having her own house, makes it easier on both of us. If only she liked to ride...

I wonder if I could brace the floor so I could put the lift in there, maybe line the walls with plastic so I could paint, run an exhaust tube out the window, and maybe...

Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by justglidin
Those bikes look killer bro!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the info coming!!!!!!!!!!
Will do man. Thanks.

Mine did. Well, there were other reasons of course, and that was a long time ago. I'm a kind of confirmed bachelor now. But it does make it a lot easier to do what I want. Have a GF that also likes having her own house, makes it easier on both of us. If only she liked to ride...

Ya, if only. Been trying to get my wife into it, even just a little. I mean, if she gets a bike that can be next year's winter project. No go, so far. She wants a phuking boat.

I wonder if I could brace the floor so I could put the lift in there, maybe line the walls with plastic so I could paint, run an exhaust tube out the window, and maybe...

I've been thinking lately though, that if I'm ever forced to "downsize" the accomodations for some reason I'll just buy a big heated and air conditioned garage and just put a bed in it.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover