Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is $200 dollar forward control kit on eBay a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Mcnasby
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is $200 dollar forward control kit on eBay a good deal?

I'm switching my 1993 from mid controls to forward controls and want to do it on a budget. The cheapest I have found though us around $200. Is there a cheaper kit? Or is there a way to do it with only a few parts to add to the stock controls? Thanks
In advance guys.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

that's about as cheap as they get. I ran highway pegs and shifted and braked with my heels until I finally built my own.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's the same as the O/E controls on the customs, jump on it. If it's the ones that have that whacky pivot for the brake side, I wouldn't touch it for free, but that's just me.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

you will notice that a magnet wont stick to the controls..
hope you dont have to "tweak " them"

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
CS Mactavish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zimbob
If it's the same as the O/E controls on the customs, jump on it. If it's the ones that have that whacky pivot for the brake side, I wouldn't touch it for free, but that's just me.
I have these with the whacky pivot on the brake side and in the future will be going to the O/E type.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

If this is the kit made by CCI (Custom Chrome Inc.) do not get them, I bought a set off ebay for 174. The add said they had chome blemishes, I didnt care too much about that so I got them. These were total garbage. First, every thing that was threaded had extra metal between the threads. I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to peel the excess metal off. Second, Everything that screwed together ended up cross threading, if they would screw together at all. After lots of cussing, I finally got the controls mounted. Took the bike out for a test ride and SNAP! one of the mounting bolts sheared off and the entire brake assembly fell to the ground. Thank God I was only putting around the neighborhood, I almost ate ****. I had to go the the hardware store and buy all new hardware, grade 8 bolts. After I fixed that, a couple weeks later I was riding to work and when to downshift and my shifter just fell onto the forward peg. I pulled off the freeway only to find that the all the splines were stripped on the shift peg as well as the shift shaft. After About a month of dealing with the Ebay seller as well as CCI Directly, I finally got a replacement shift peg and shift shaft, I have not installed it yet because the quality is just....well there is no quality. If I were you I would save myself the headache and spend the extra 100 dollars and get the forwards from Harley. They are worth it.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Mcnasby
Advanced

Thanks Wurm, sorry to hear that. While we are on the subject what sites are good for buying OEM products?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
ian03xl
Advanced

I have had the cci controls on mine since 03 and other than the brake pivot being kind of a hoaky set up I've had absolutely no problems with them. Maybe their standards have changed since then.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM
tandt
Cruiser

You need to trust the parts you use to brake, shift, and stand on. I suggest not cheaping out on forwards. Get the HD pieces or at least something from a quality, reputable non-HD supplier. You can save money on stuff that won't cause you to crash and die if they fail.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Mcnasby
Advanced

Anyone know anything about the Raider forward controls?

Quick Reply: Is $200 dollar forward control kit on eBay a good deal?