Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
USMCDevilDogg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty Pipes?

I've been looking everywhere for a set of pipes to put on my '99 sporty. I like the short, loud pipes but all the ones I like are very expensive and out of my price range. My question is- Could I possible cut/mod my stock pipes shorter without hurting the engine? If so, how short could I go...I've read different post but no one has an exact answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 AM
ezmo
Cruiser

Just dont go too loud, cause it would hurt the whole community of Harley riders. There is enough of penalties with modestly modified pipes, that are not even loud, just because too many loud pipe Harley dudes have been teasing the environment with noise pollution.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^dont listen to this dude. do what you want, it's your bike and a free country last time i checked. quieting our exhausts won't do **** for the preconceived notions cagers and normal everyday folk have about us. i'm doing the same right now. i'm taking some stock sporty headers and tig welding some tips on there. don't forget the lollipop baffle for some back pressure. good luck brother.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 AM
qweeksdraw
Novice
Default shorty mufflers

I posted this last week. check out JP cycles Jones full boar slipons 194.99 pretty cheap, and sound sooooooo goooood!!! And I didn't have to rejet. I too wanted to mod some stock pipes, but I'm very happy with the Jones slipons.

let us know how it coms out with the mod.

If I stopped drinkin beer I could afford a new Ultra bagger!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by qweeksdraw
I posted this last week. check out JP cycles Jones full boar slipons 194.99 pretty cheap, and sound sooooooo goooood!!! And I didn't have to rejet. I too wanted to mod some stock pipes, but I'm very happy with the Jones slipons.

let us know how it coms out with the mod.

If I stopped drinkin beer I could afford a new Ultra bagger!
now why the hell would you ever consider giving up BEER for a big stupid ultra bagger?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
now why the hell would you ever consider giving up BEER for a big stupid ultra bagger?

Thing of all the beer you could fit in the trunk though.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
SpecterGT260
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ezmo
Just dont go too loud, cause it would hurt the whole community of Harley riders. There is enough of penalties with modestly modified pipes, that are not even loud, just because too many loud pipe Harley dudes have been teasing the environment with noise pollution.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL @ bmx

Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
^^^dont listen to this dude. do what you want, it's your bike and a free country last time i checked.

quieting our exhausts won't do **** for the preconceived notions cagers and normal everyday folk have about us. i'm doing the same right now. i'm taking some stock sporty headers and tig welding some tips on there. don't forget the lollipop baffle for some back pressure. good luck brother.
As they say, your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins. When I went to the next town to get my bike tuned on a dyno, they had me sign a disclosure thing where they had to inform me that the town has an ordnance against non-stock pipes if they are loud and that I would be responsible (whether it was to return the thing to stock or pay a ticket) if the tech got pulled over. That or they would not road test my bike.

That I can agree with since the ricer community has been able to get away with their fart pipes that are 5 inches at the tip being fed by a 1 inch exhaust pipe. Makes a lot of noise but no performance really. They also said that about the diesel trucks which blow black smoke. Never bought into that myself and do use my "smoke tune" to blast smoke at those who richly deserve it. Pedestrians and tailgaters

Old 04-03-2012, 11:43 AM
baddog48
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aklim
Never bought into that myself and do use my "smoke tune" to blast smoke at those who richly deserve it. Pedestrians and tailgaters
Hahaha nice. Fog em out.

Quick Reply: Shorty Pipes?