Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total rewire

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
HarleyDug
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total rewire

Ok Folks. My thread name is HarleyDug. I HAVE onwed an 76 XLCH for a few years and enjoyed the HELL out of it, and WANT DESPERATELY to be a rider again, not just an owner!
I got this 71 XLH as a pretty good deal, even for a basket case for $1,500, but have already spent another few G's because I didn't notice certain parts missing when I picket it up. He sold it as a 900 but the numbers matching on the case and frame state that it's a 1,000. GOOD 4 ME, RIGHT?!? I'M NOW ALMOST to the point wher I want to MASH his face in a little, if I don't start getting somewhere!?!! LOL I took my 76 apart , painted it and put it back together with no problem since I labeled everything the way you are supposed to.
I didn't really have the cash to get the good wire harness that had all the rght tags and directions for this bike, but now I do, but I don't WANT to put out for another harness if I don't have to, but I can't put together what the Clymer manual says with the wires and parts I've got. I had to poney up for a starter relay(it's amazing how much it really looks like the solenoid). I've looked thru all 17 pages here, but can't get any more info than I already have. I'm almost possative that I have the wires hooked up just like the Clymer manual says, but it gets my Gen and Voltage reg pretty warm with just a few shots at trying to get it to turn over. And right now all I get are some pretty rapid clicks of the solenoid and nothing turning over. I've also build a bad-*** 80 ElCamino with a corvette engine from the ground up, so I am fairly mechanical about this stuff.

I'm going to get the REAL Harley manual. Should I get just the Harley Manual, or the Harley Electrical Manual? If I can't get somewhere in the next few days before I have to get back to my job searching, I MIGHT be forced to drop it off at a shop and just let them do the wiring. My riding days are getting away from me pretty quickly 1 by 1 by 1!!! And I'm a truck driver, so if I can't get this together prety quick, I might not even GET any riding in this year!!! I know this will be one different rider than most showroo bought models, plus it's a really old 71.
I'll take as many pictures and send in updates every night I get home from my buddy's garage wher we are wrenching on it. I've gotten it to a rolling chassis with new swing are hardware, axles, triple tree and starter relay, but can't seem to get the wiring close enuff yet. I also belong to the Sportster Buehl web site, and those Dudes have helped out a great deal too. So PLEASE help me over the hump. I am so dedicated to getting this thing going, it's getting me in pretty hot water at home!!! But right now I could care less! LMAO

So please help me, and I can't even tell you how much I appreciate it.
Thanx
Dug
P.S. You can find a pic of my ride in my album, I believe. If you can't finr it let me know. If I was any better at this, I would add it to this post.
Thanx again Dug

Last edited by HarleyDug; 07-08-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Add info about pic of ride
Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Dug, for your model there is only one factory service manual, which comes with the electrics in it. Electrical books only came in with EFI, something you don't have to deal with!

IMHO building a harness from scratch is very time consuming, unless you are good at it. Buying a ready made one is a short cut worth considering. It's only money.....

Best of luck getting your bike running again.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
HarleyDug
Novice

Hey Thanx Brown!
I decided to do the best of both choices. I got a harness and have been picking and choosing what wires I need and which ones work. It has driven me nuts so far, but as of last night I got her to turn over!!! WooF'nHooo!!! I'll take that as a major accomplishment because there were no wires at all on the frame, except the tabs that were left after being snipped off!
Going back out now to get back into it again. I figure the Ignition part will have been the most difficult and the lights shouldn't be as tough. I hope I'm not too far off there! LOL
I'll take pics and keep posting what I find.
Just found out this am that the old owner stuck a shovelhead oil dip stick with a hacked up filter into my correct Ironhead oil tank! Nice huh?! My newest best friend, the owner of the local Harley shop has really helped me out.
OK, hope everyone has a GR8T day.
later
Dug

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
HarleyDug
Novice

OK Folks, I actually got the bike started today!!! It would only run for a few seconds off of the fuel I had to spray in the carb. I'm going to go thru the carb tomorrow and see what's up, why it won't flow. Did actually have a tank hooked up to it.

But my big question right now is, when I have the key turned on for a little while checking wire connections and stuff, the generator gets pretty hot. Is this a wrong wire hook up possibly, or a generator problem? I can't really check the gen untill I have it running, according to the Clymer manual.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey harleydug sounds like a good project, throw up some pics !

Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 AM
nunez8853
Advanced

This might help brother, good luck on your quest cause Im doing mine as well. it seems harder than it is its just wrapping your mind around the schematics, once you under stand them you should be well on your way

http://home.roadrunner.com/~embedded/docs/Adam1.pdf

Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
HarleyDug
Novice

Will do on the pics. Really startin to get a rise outta me since we got her started yesterday!!! Didn't have the drag pipes hooked up so didn't want to have it running too long. Sounded smooth tho, no knocks or pings or anything like that.
The schematics are starting to make sense to me. You just have to be creative because there are only so many ways you can hook up power off of the 1 red coming out of my voltage regulator. I put circuit breakers in instead of fuses and I'm to the point where I have to hook up another bar for the lights that are next on the list.
I'm having trouble with the starter button and then the turn signals will probly make me scratch my head a few times. My buddy, who is a cam head extraordinare, isn't any better at wiring than myself, but his mechanical apptitude make up for it.
I replaced the little start button on my controls with a new one, but that thing is so tiny I probably screwed it up when I soldered it. Too much heat. So I'm going to hook up this other switch I bought. The problem is, I am having a hard time figuring out the placement of the wires on my starter relay. The button won't make it start, but if you jump the 2 connections on the relay it will start.
So I'll keep researchin and asking questions, and will be throwin a leg over in no time!! lol
later

Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely redone mine several months ago... I used two simple tools. Circuit tester and continuity tester both from advanced auto for around 20 bucks. No need to get an electrical degree for the multimeter. Not saying you need a degree.... Well maybe, Third Grade.

If you haven't already purchased it, you NEED the service manual!!! Pictures, diagrams, wording in the manual kinda suck but will get you most maintenance and repairs done yerself.

Nothing more rewarding than fixing it yourself!

The following users liked this post:
leland gipson (01-31-2021)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
HarleyDug
Novice
Cool

I agree Marine Dude. I have a Clymer manual, and am thinking about getting the Harley one too. But yes I DO actually have an associates degree in electronics, I've forgotten most of it in the last 10- 15 years, but between my simple multimeter, the 1 wire continuity tester with the light in the handle and my little telescoping magnet, those are all the toys I need! LOL
After work 2day I'm going to tear the carb apart and see why I can't get any gas flowing. Then I'll throw the pipes and carb back on and hear it thru the pipes for the 1st time.
I need to ground the body of the voltage reg to the frame and see if that will keep the Gen from gettin so hot before I take it off and check the brushes. My cam head buddy that's helping me wants to do alot of this. I'm paying him for the use of his home shop and advice, but I need to get the grease under MY nails so I'll know exactly what's going on when I'm out in the wind.
It's cool tho. And it's DEFFINATELY a love-hate relationship right now! Between the money, time and ridin days tickin by so freakin fast, it's drivin me nutz! I may not be the smartest guy, but I DO have persistance.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
HarleyDug
Novice

OK,,, had a bad day yesterday. I've gone from "got it started" to not sure why the Gen and Regulator are getting hot with the bike not even running. I have the seperate regulator and wish it was like the '73's that is clearly marked.
I know the schematics aren't that difficult to read, and there are basicly only 3 systems to worry about,,, but I'm not even sure about the right wires here and there.
I'm going to have to get a new Regulator,( that will hopefully come with directions), and pull the Gen and check it out on the bench. My voltage regulator has 3 wires, a black a green and a red. I know the red goes to the battery but I can't figure out for the life of me, how the others get hooked up,,, and then you throw in the starter relay,(which didn't come with directions either), and start button,,, I might as well just throw them all up in the air and hope it works out.

I know I am just whining like a little baby,,, but let's call it venting!!!! LOL Right now I'm about ready to just dump it at the front door of my local shop.
I guess I'll just take a giant Zanax and maybe go pound on some lumber for a while and then get back at it with a clear head.
Don't think less of me. Maybe I'm just trying too hard.

I'm not going to quit,,, but I'm not going to let an inanimate object beat me either!!! LOL

Quick Reply: Total rewire