The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

What is this "Dark side business?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Robbysride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this "Dark side business?"

So what is the dark side. Ive been reading a few posts here, maybe its the name, but why is it considered the dark side? Is it unpopular or something? Is it just that people are putting car tires on their rear wheel? I have been thinking alot about tires lately. Actually made two posts about tires already this week. What are the pros and cons?Out of curiosity, what type of mod is required for a fxd?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

Any deviation from the norm will cause others to nay say it to death. I read all the threads and started to id the people who have never tried it but had to say it wouldn't work. The ones who have tried it are convinced it does. I know it works so I don't have to defend my decision to go there.
I guess not standing in the same line is like being a black sheep. Dark side is just a term. Nothing more.
I found after my first tire change, it's expensive. OK, taking care of my bike IS expensive and I accept that. But after the new tires lasted less than a year and 12K miles I found this area of the forum. I could not believe it was being done or even worked but like I said I read all the threads and in the end it sounded good. So I did it.
My 09 Road King with a 195-55-16 now has unbelievable wear, traction, ride and price the stock tire can't possible match. U gotta push cornering a little more but I don't even notice it any more. If I was a canyon racer it would be different. Motorcycle race tires are purpose built. They might only last a week but they work. Road Kings can drag floorboards all day long but they will not beat a canyon racer. What the King does best is miles. All day long. I do a lot of Highway/Interstate and the care tire was a good choice for me. As for your fxd, I can't help ya there. I hope others can jump in and fix ya up.
Everything I've said has been said before so I'm not breaking new ground. If this is not for you then just enjoy what ya got and keep safe.

FLHPRK

Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 AM
spoonie
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLHProadkill
Any deviation from the norm will cause others to nay say it to death. I read all the threads and started to id the people who have never tried it but had to say it wouldn't work. The ones who have tried it are convinced it does. I know it works so I don't have to defend my decision to go there.
I guess not standing in the same line is like being a black sheep. Dark side is just a term. Nothing more.
I found after my first tire change, it's expensive. OK, taking care of my bike IS expensive and I accept that. But after the new tires lasted less than a year and 12K miles I found this area of the forum. I could not believe it was being done or even worked but like I said I read all the threads and in the end it sounded good. So I did it.
My 09 Road King with a 195-55-16 now has unbelievable wear, traction, ride and price the stock tire can't possible match. U gotta push cornering a little more but I don't even notice it any more. If I was a canyon racer it would be different. Motorcycle race tires are purpose built. They might only last a week but they work. Road Kings can drag floorboards all day long but they will not beat a canyon racer. What the King does best is miles. All day long. I do a lot of Highway/Interstate and the care tire was a good choice for me. As for your fxd, I can't help ya there. I hope others can jump in and fix ya up.
Everything I've said has been said before so I'm not breaking new ground. If this is not for you then just enjoy what ya got and keep safe.

FLHPRK
Very well said, my friend, very well said!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:52 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Darkside

I have had two darkside bikes. A 2011 RK and the other a 2013 Electra glide Classic.

Works well on both . All I have to say!